Alice Fletcher, " />

Sheffield Spotlight #07: Feral Family – Wee Van Bee

Our seventh Sheffield Spotlight pick comes from Feral Family and their brilliant single Wee Van Bee.

Wee Van Bee, released on the 4th November, is Feral Family’s fourth single of the year, and might just be their best. Combining the atmospheric indie sound of Foals with a more Post-Punk slant, Wee Van Bee is masterfully menacing, with the dark, haunting background vocals being perfectly matched by the intense guitar sound throughout the track. Lead singer Jamie Lowe’s vocals nicely compliment the music, with his drawling voice really elevating the track. The constant building-up throughout the song is rewarded in the final minute with a feeling of huge catharsis as the track swells and explodes into it’s climax.

Very reminiscent of Noel Gallagher’s Who Built The Moon? album (with his High Flying Birds), Wee Van Bee is an excellent song, and a fantastic taster at what Feral Family can do. With plans for the band to record their debut album, we are eagerly waiting to see what they do next.

Wee Van Bee can be found on Feral Family’s Spotify here.

Fire Service called to Drama Studio as smoke reported

Both South Yorkshire Fire and Rescue and South Yorkshire Police have been called to the University of Sheffield Drama Studio on Shearwood Road this...

Pro-Palestine protesters camp outside SU following demonstrations in US universities

Dozens of students and staff members have erected encampment outside the Students’ Union building since May 1 to show solidarity with Palestinians, in the...

Book Review: Wicked – The Life and Times of the Wicked Witch of the West ~ Gregory Maguire

With the splash of the water bucket, the Wicked Witch of the West melted in a shrieking mess in front of Dorothy, aghast at...

Sounds of unity: collaborative open mic night brings together musicians and students

On the 13th March, the Music Department Society and Octagon Records, two University of Sheffield societies, brought together their audiences for a big open...

Touring Production Review: The 39 Steps

When you go to the theatre you never expect what you see to be totally realistic, yet, usually, the characters on stage don’t seem...

University baseball club to hold charity match against Goodwin staff

University of Sheffield’s baseball club will face off against staff from Sport & Physical Activity in their first ever charity match.  The team, affectionately known...

Interview: Cluedo 2’s Ellie Leach and Jason Durr with director Mark Bell

For Strictly Come Dancing champion and former Coronation Street actress Ellie Leach and ex Heartbeat and Casualty actor Jason Durr, the chance to play...