Charlie Sweeney" />

Interview: Sheffield-based rapper Sliime talks to us about going viral on Tik Tok, South Asian hip hop, and Tropicana

Sheffield-based rapper and producer Sliime is steadily climbing the music ladder. From getting co-signs from the likes of Stormzy and Headie One, to going viral on Tik Tok with his song ‘Lehenga’ (which has got over 50 million views), clearly the rapper is destined for success. Sliime, who has dedicated himself not just to making great music, but to raising the profile of Bengali music in the modern UK music scene, spoke to Forge Press recently about his views on Tik Tok, Sheffield, and the music scene.

How does it feel to be TikTok famous!

Having an online presence is a weird feeling – knowing so many eyes are on you, and that so many people have heard of you without ever meeting them, but the positive support makes it a good feeling.

In all seriousness, TikTok has clearly been incredibly useful in helping you promote your music. Was this a conscious decision on your part, or did it just happen?

I realised how many people actually use TikTok, but didn’t expect to receive the attention I got from Lehenga. Although there was some planning beforehand, it all happened very suddenly and out of the blue.

Do you think newer artists need to be making effective use of TikTok in order to get their music out into the world?

Definitely – musicians need to post regularly on TikTok and not let a small amount of likes dishearten you.

Your music, especially your newest single Lehenga, clearly has a lot of South Asian influence. How important would you say this influence is when it comes to how you make music generally, in all parts of the process?

It’s the core of the song and my artist profile as a whole. If it wasn’t for me standing out for being South Asian, I would be an average rapper talking about regular things. Getting my people out there is as important as getting Sliime out there.

Would you say you went into music wanting to bring a more South Asian-influence into the world of UK rap, or did this just occur naturally?

I had the plan to establish myself as a UK rapper with substance. What makes it that little bit organic is just the fact that I’m Bengali, so any lyrics which are linked to South Asians is just part of our vocabulary.

Likewise, how important would you say Sheffield has been to your musical development? Are there any artists in Sheffield, contemporary or not, who have had an influence on your music?

Although I’m not regularly listening to indie rock, I am massively inspired by how the Arctic Monkeys have made such a name for themselves coming from High Green, and how much of an influence they have on the current era of their genre of music today.

What is your favourite venue in Sheffield? 

I used to love going to Tropicana with the lads.

In 2021 you released your song ‘Allow It’, which was partly done to help encourage under-30s to get vaccinated. What inspired you to do this, and is there any issues at the moment, whether in Sheffield or in the wider UK, that you feel we should be focusing on more?

I was inspired to do this as I wanted to help a spokeswoman for our community with a project, which in turn would benefit her and the community as a whole. I will be looking to cover topics which people in my community struggle with, mostly crime related, and write pieces which help the youth understand one another better.

Lehenga has been an absolute sensation, with 55 million views on TikTok, so what’s next for you? Have you got much else planned yet?

Without saying too much, and sounding ungrateful for the support I’ve received from Lehenga, bear in mind that it’s only January. Lehenga is nothing compared to what I have lined up next.

Whilst we eagerly await whatever Sliime has lined up next, we definitely recommend seeing what he has produced already. You can watch the video for Sliime’s ‘Lehenga’ here.

Fire Service called to Drama Studio as smoke reported

Both South Yorkshire Fire and Rescue and South Yorkshire Police have been called to the University of Sheffield Drama Studio on Shearwood Road this...

Pro-Palestine protesters camp outside SU following demonstrations in US universities

Dozens of students and staff members have erected encampment outside the Students’ Union building since May 1 to show solidarity with Palestinians, in the...

Book Review: Wicked – The Life and Times of the Wicked Witch of the West ~ Gregory Maguire

With the splash of the water bucket, the Wicked Witch of the West melted in a shrieking mess in front of Dorothy, aghast at...

Sounds of unity: collaborative open mic night brings together musicians and students

On the 13th March, the Music Department Society and Octagon Records, two University of Sheffield societies, brought together their audiences for a big open...

Touring Production Review: The 39 Steps

When you go to the theatre you never expect what you see to be totally realistic, yet, usually, the characters on stage don’t seem...

University baseball club to hold charity match against Goodwin staff

University of Sheffield’s baseball club will face off against staff from Sport & Physical Activity in their first ever charity match.  The team, affectionately known...

Interview: Cluedo 2’s Ellie Leach and Jason Durr with director Mark Bell

For Strictly Come Dancing champion and former Coronation Street actress Ellie Leach and ex Heartbeat and Casualty actor Jason Durr, the chance to play...