The University of Sheffield’s cheerleading team known as the Sheffield Sabrecats demonstrated their captivating routines at their annual cheer showcase.

The event, which saw around 700 spectators attend, was well organised and kept friends and family of the cheerleaders entertained for the event’s duration.

Sheffield Sabrecats are one of the University’s largest societies and is made up of seven teams in total belonging to either the stunt section of cheerleading or the pom section.

Stunt consists of four different teams with three of them competing at three different difficulty levels against other universities across the country.

As for Pom, that is made up of three teams which are Varsity Cheer Dance, Varsity Performance and finally the Competition squad.

On the night, each team had the chance to showcase their complex dances which they have been working hard to perfect over the last few months.

Each routine was memorable in different ways whether that be the jaw-dropping flips and lifts showcased by the stunt teams or the impressive synchronisation put on display by pom.

Credit: VSP Images

As a further show of skill, one stunt team used a long jump pad to demonstrate a series of jumps, flips and turns which was met with applause by the enthralled audience.

Due to the size of the cheerleading society, there were many committee members such as coaches and captains who were given thanks and appreciation for the work they put in which involves choreographing the dances and organising weekly training for each team.

The show was a great display of athleticism, rhythm and choreography and is a good sign that the Sabrecats will perform well in their upcoming competitions as well as the highly anticipated Varsity.