SU Elections: Maria Lourido Moreno elected as Education Officer

Maria Lourido Moreno has been elected as the Sheffield Students’ Union full-time Education Officer for the 2023/24 academic year.

She won her position with a total of 1615 votes, beating Eve Woodall – who secured total 1363 votes – in the second round by 252 votes.

Speaking on the night, she said: “I just want to thank every single one of my friends. I could never have done this without you. And to every single person who voted, thank you so much. I think we only are only strong if we work together, we are only good as a team who dedicate time to make changes across the university, so I’ll be getting to know all the officers and what they want.”

Moreno is in her second year, studying Politics and Sociology and will be taking over from the current Education Officer, Alison Romaine, in June.

Her manifesto focussed on increasing Cost of Living support for students, creating a fairer assessment system, diversifying curriculums, and using the SU to help students campaign.

You can read Moreno’s full manifesto here.

When we interviewed Moreno last week, she said: “I’m campaigning to not fix the system, but change it. I don’t want provisional measures that can be then taken down, if the powers that be need them to be taken down. I want a change that is long lasting, and can’t be switched.

“I’ve seen the university put profits over students for two years and I’m done with it.“

Why is everyone running half marathons all of a sudden?

You can run, but you can’t hide - half marathon fever is sweeping across our students like a newfound epidemic. Your friends are no...

University announces Weston Park May Fayre collaboration

The University of Sheffield is among a number of groups, including Sheffield City Council and Heart Radio, coming together to facilitate the annual Weston...

AGMs 2024: Craft Club Committee formed after AGM re-run

The Craft Club Society have recently revealed their committee for the 2024/25 academic year, after previously struggling to achieve sufficient interest from members. The...

Book Review: Babycakes ~ Armistead Maupin

A sailor walks into a bar, meets a reporter and says he’s defected. Don’t wait for a punchline, because this is no laughing matter....

Dance Society named Society of the Year

The University of Sheffield Dance Society has been crowned as Society of the 2023/24 academic year at the annual Activities Awards, which took place...

BAME Students Part Time Officer questioned over lack of work since taking over role

Criticism has been raised over Part Time BAME Students Officer Ahmad Waris’ perceived lack of work since his time in office.  Speaking to Forge Press...

Opinion: Should centre stage be a place for protest?

Theatres have long been places of public expression and discourse, and never has this been clearer than it is now. Lots of new plays...