Charlie Sweeney" />

Death Cab for Cutie embarking on UK tour with dates near Sheffield

Acclaimed rock band Death Cab for Cutie are currently embarking on a tour of the UK, straight of the back of the release of a new acoustic version of their fantastic Asphalt Meadows album.

Straight off the back of their US tour, which culminated in a sold-out show at the famous Ryman Auditorium in Nashville, the band have begun their UK/EU tour, which will sell them play Copenhagen, Berlin and Amsterdam, as well as a variety of places in the UK.

The band will continue to spend much of 2023 on the road, traversing the US this autumn on their highly-anticipated co-headline tour with The Postal Service, celebrating the 20th anniversaries of each band’s seminal 2003 record – Transatlanticism and Give Up, respectively.

Their new acoustic version of Asphalt Meadows features an incredibly moving cover of ‘The Plan’ by Low, in tribute of the late Mimi Parker. Death Cab for Cutie’s lead vocalist Ben Gibbard had this to say:

“I first saw Low in 1994 opening for Sunny Day Real Estate at the OK Hotel in Seattle. Since then, they’ve been one of the most influential and important bands of my life. It was the fulfillment of my teenage self’s indie rock dream when our bands became friends while on tour together in 2012.”

You can listen to the acoustic version of Asphalt Meadows here.

The full list of Death Cab for Cutie’s UK shows is as follows:

18th March – Nottingham, United Kingdom – Rock City *

19th March – Dublin, Ireland – Bord Gáis Energy Theatre *

21th March – Birmingham, United Kingdom – O2 Institute *

22th March – Edinburgh, United Kingdom – Usher Hall *

23th March – Glasgow, United Kingdom – Barrowland *

25th March – Manchester, United Kingdom – O2 Apollo *

27th March – Brighton, United Kingdom – Dome *

28th March – London, UK – Roundhouse *

29th March – London, United Kingdom – Royal Albert Hall * – LOW TICKETS

* w/ Special Guest Slow Pulp

Fire Service called to Drama Studio as smoke reported

Both South Yorkshire Fire and Rescue and South Yorkshire Police have been called to the University of Sheffield Drama Studio on Shearwood Road this...

Pro-Palestine protesters camp outside SU following demonstrations in US universities

Dozens of students and staff members have erected encampment outside the Students’ Union building since May 1 to show solidarity with Palestinians, in the...

Book Review: Wicked – The Life and Times of the Wicked Witch of the West ~ Gregory Maguire

With the splash of the water bucket, the Wicked Witch of the West melted in a shrieking mess in front of Dorothy, aghast at...

Sounds of unity: collaborative open mic night brings together musicians and students

On the 13th March, the Music Department Society and Octagon Records, two University of Sheffield societies, brought together their audiences for a big open...

Touring Production Review: The 39 Steps

When you go to the theatre you never expect what you see to be totally realistic, yet, usually, the characters on stage don’t seem...

University baseball club to hold charity match against Goodwin staff

University of Sheffield’s baseball club will face off against staff from Sport & Physical Activity in their first ever charity match.  The team, affectionately known...

Interview: Cluedo 2’s Ellie Leach and Jason Durr with director Mark Bell

For Strictly Come Dancing champion and former Coronation Street actress Ellie Leach and ex Heartbeat and Casualty actor Jason Durr, the chance to play...