Alice Fletcher, " />

Sheffield Spotlight #09: Django Jones and the Mystery Men – Date Night at Joey’s

Our ninth pick for Sheffield Spotlight comes from Django Jones and the Mystery Men and their fantastic new track, ‘Date Night at Joey’s’.

Django Jones and the Mystery Men, straight off the back of their first UK tour, as well as a fantastically-mental support slot at The Washington for Cucamaras, are seemingly taking the Sheffield music scene by storm. Their first single, ‘Bad For You’, was a brilliant and intense track, and ‘Date Night at Joey’s’ is no exception.

A thundering track, the song begins with a screeching guitar riff, as lead-singer Will Tomlinson’s nonchalantly discusses the eponymous date. The humour expressed by the band in their live gigs is definitely on display during the song, with Tomlinson explaining, incredulously, that the date “stopped and told me he didn’t like Weezer- and I’m like, who doesn’t like Weezer?”. After the first 20 seconds, the drums and bass join in, and the song really kicks into gear. Angry and intense, ‘Date Night at Joey’s’ really displays the bands musical talents. The drumming perfectly matches the screeching guitar riffs, illustrating the best bits of the typical British punk sound. However, Will Tomlinson’s vocals definitely give the band a more unique sound, almost Jagger-esque in his delivery. The guitar riff at around the 2 minute 20 second mark is one of the highlights of the song, managing to pierce the thundering drums and really heighten the song.

Overall, ‘Date Night at Joey’s’ is one of the best Sheffield tracks we have heard in a while, and Django Jones and the Mystery Men are easily one of the most talented acts in Sheffield. We are hugely excited to see what they do next.

You can listen to ‘Date Night at Joey’s’ here.

Fire Service called to Drama Studio as smoke reported

Both South Yorkshire Fire and Rescue and South Yorkshire Police have been called to the University of Sheffield Drama Studio on Shearwood Road this...

Pro-Palestine protesters camp outside SU following demonstrations in US universities

Dozens of students and staff members have erected encampment outside the Students’ Union building since May 1 to show solidarity with Palestinians, in the...

Book Review: Wicked – The Life and Times of the Wicked Witch of the West ~ Gregory Maguire

With the splash of the water bucket, the Wicked Witch of the West melted in a shrieking mess in front of Dorothy, aghast at...

Sounds of unity: collaborative open mic night brings together musicians and students

On the 13th March, the Music Department Society and Octagon Records, two University of Sheffield societies, brought together their audiences for a big open...

Touring Production Review: The 39 Steps

When you go to the theatre you never expect what you see to be totally realistic, yet, usually, the characters on stage don’t seem...

University baseball club to hold charity match against Goodwin staff

University of Sheffield’s baseball club will face off against staff from Sport & Physical Activity in their first ever charity match.  The team, affectionately known...

Interview: Cluedo 2’s Ellie Leach and Jason Durr with director Mark Bell

For Strictly Come Dancing champion and former Coronation Street actress Ellie Leach and ex Heartbeat and Casualty actor Jason Durr, the chance to play...