Freshers week is finally here and many new students will be looking to join the university sports teams. 

Part of this process may include passing a trial, but what exactly can you expect from a University of Sheffield sports trial?

A trial is an organised session where current members of sport clubs watch new students play, to decide if they want them on their competitive teams.

Trials put on by sporting societies may include training drills, or come in the form of organised matches. Some trials will cost a fee to participate in, to cover the cost of hiring a pitch.

For some new students, this can be a very nerve wracking experience, especially as many trialling students will be completely new to the area.

It is important to remember that everyone at trials is in the same boat, and that the pressure should not stop you from expressing yourself – the clubs want to see what you’re all about!

A top tip is to be friendly, and try your hardest. The best teams are made not only of talented athletes, but hard workers and good people. You are much more likely to make the cut if you show your desire to contribute towards a happy club environment.

New students don’t need to be afraid of rejection either. Hundreds of students try-out during freshers week, and if you don’t make the cut in that one sport you really wanted, there are 57 different clubs that might offer something you are interested in. 

From Ice Hockey to Korfball, the variety of sports on offer allows you to try something different, and a rejection may be a great chance for a new opportunity.

If competition isn’t really for you, you can also try Campus Leagues. These are sports competitions that can be entered by teams of friends in a variety of different sports, and some may not require trialling.

There are so many different opportunities that you can take part in at the start of this year, which is why attending the Sports Fair on 22 September is a fantastic idea!

For details about upcoming trials, make sure to check sports clubs’ social media pages.