The University’s African and Caribbean Society (ACS) have hailed Black History Month as an opportunity to ‘balance struggles with celebration’, as their packed schedule of specialist programming draws to a close.

The annual observance takes places across the whole of October, and whilst initially a festival focusing specifically on the work of black scholars, it is now recognised as a month to celebrate all black people.

Emily Kulubya, the African and Caribbean society’s Operations Officer and a second year law student, spoke of the occassion’s importance: 

“Black History Month is a celebration of black culture and is important all year round. Black History Month in particular is important because it is difficult for universities to keep the awareness of the cause going all year. It gives the opportunity to educate ourselves and others, and it is knowledge that is important. Our society does not want people to be ignorant of black struggles, but we also want to balance those struggles with celebration”.

ACS have organised multiple events this month to celebrate. Emily told Forge Press about an Energy event which took place at Leeds, the event had many ACS societies involved, including Leeds, Sheffield Hallam and Manchester.

“The event was a celebration of black music. It is important that we meet people from ACS societies across the North, so that we are getting people together to be involved in black celebration”. 

A games night, where attendees will have to answer questions on black pop culture, is planned for the 25th October. Organised in collaboration with several different societies who are celebrating black history month, including BAME Engineers and the North African society. 

“We want to make the celebrations fun and educational. We’re hosting a games night that will have questions on black pop culture. The event is also giving opportunities to black businesses, with Mina’s Cuisine catering the event with freshly prepared African dishes”. 

She stressed how the society wants to incorporate more sober socials, “we want to create community spirit in the society, so people feel comfortable speaking about not only what it means to be black, but being black at university. We want people to talk about shared experiences”.

Emily also mentioned how the African and Caribbean society want to draw attention to those who are current black role models, giving the example of British actress, filmmaker and singer Michaela Coel, because “it is important for Black History Month to not just feel like being lectured on “text book” figures we are often taught about in school”.

As part of this, the society has also been highlighting iconic black people that they believe are influential towards black culture and history on their social media. Namely, Malcolm X, British author Dean Atta and Egyptian feminist writer, doctor and activist: Nawal El Saadawi.

When asked about what students, who are not BAME, can do to educate themselves and celebrate black history month, she highlighted the value of education.

“Be aware. There are resources in the Information Commons and on the Sheffield website that you can use to educate yourself. Make yourself aware of positives too, celebrate black music and black artists and get involved.”

She continued: “ACS and Black History Month is not just for black people, anyone is welcome as long as you’re willing to appreciate black culture”.

Image credit – ACS