The Creator: “AI Spectacular?” – Review

British director, Gareth Edwards, has delivered the sci-fi realm’s newest addition: The Creator. This futuristic thriller capitalises on society’s current whirlpool of worry and wonder: the rapid materialisation of artificial intelligence (AI).

Against a backdrop of human-AI hostilities, a raging technological war engulfs the screen after an AI-triggered nuclear attack embeds itself into the city of Los Angeles. Former US soldier Joshua (John David Washington) is introduced as a loving husband, embracing his pregnant wife, Maya and situated in a quiet corner of ‘New Asia’. 5 years later after a tragic loss, Joshua is recruited on an undercover mission to tackle the advanced plans of notorious AI architect, Nirmata.

The film’s portrayal of AI didn’t exactly deliver anything substantially new to our current knowledge but Edward’s employment of futuristic technology on the screen breeds originality.

Having gone into the film without seeing a trailer and with zero expectations, this film certainly delivered an experience. I’m not a regular watcher of the sci-fi genre yet this film was compelling and of course, the AI notion breeds much curiosity when considering its presence in societal debates. The film’s portrayal of AI didn’t exactly deliver anything substantially new to our current knowledge but Edward’s employment of futuristic technology on the screen breeds originality. What sets it apart from other AI features is its sympathetic veil. Its thought-provoking portrayal of AI doesn’t follow the usual demonisation which society subjects it to, showing an AI-humanity bond within this ‘New Asia’ realm.

The plot did appear predictable at times but nevertheless, it beautifully entangled emotion with action. The Creator delivered notions of love, loss and guilt through its protagonists’ Joshua and AI super weapon Alphie, with the pair developing an undeniably moving parental bond. There are brilliant heart-warming performances from both Washington and nine-year-old actress Madeline Yuna Voyles who performs the innocent AI product of the notorious Nirmata, excellently. Her impressive grasp of the character projects her promising future in the industry.

What I found most interesting was the film’s modest budget of 80 million. This has baffled many critics and has left them questioning how it has served up such a sensational palette of visuals. This sci-fi further sets itself apart from the exhausted genre with its extensive use of real-life locations, predominantly filmed in present-day Laos, Thailand, Vietnam and Cambodia. These picturesque locations help to deliver the stunning visuals that watchers of this film are continuously introduced to. Some notable visuals from this film included The American Nomad vessel with its striking laser surveillance stalking the terrains of ‘New Asia.’

With such exhilarating visuals and a moving storyline, it’s definitely worth a watch!

Verdict – 4/5

English Society announce 2024/25 committee

The departmental society names their leadership ahead of Freshers Week

Book Review: Political Tribes ~ Amy Chua

As divisions become baked into society, how do we begin to get past it?

Lib Dems name new Culture Spokesperson in seismic reshuffle

New MP Max Wilkinson has replaced veteran MP Jamie Stone as Culture Spokesperson, with half of 2019 Lib Dems losing their portfolios

Opinion: How far is too far?

God you just can’t say anything anymore...

Exhibition Review: Recasting Canova

The gift for defeating Europe's shortest military legend fails to reach the heights of other Crawford collections

Sheffield Steelers make history on the European stage

The Sheffield Steelers are expertly representing the UK in the Champions Hockey League with three wins on the bounce for the first time ever.

Review: Love Lasts Forever – Destroy Lonely

One of the frontrunners of Playboi Carti’s Opium record label, Destroy Lonely is back with his highly-anticipated album — LOVE LASTS FOREVER. The album,...