Credit: Unspalsh

Hummus Society (Max, Vernon, Tom & James)

What’s the history of the society?                                                                        “Last academic year during exam season, I started posting hummus reviews when I was bored. They got pretty popular and so the hummus society was born. We realised that if the duck society can do it, so can we.”

What’s the best shop for hummus?                                                                          “If you’re after quantity, it has to be Ozmen’s. For niche flavours, Beanie’s is a good bet.”                                                                  

How exactly do you spell hummus?                                                                     “This was surprisingly difficult to decide when we set the society up. Hummus is the Arabic for chickpea and that spelling is the best way to translate the Arabic pronunciation into English text.”                                                                                                                                                                                                                        

What’s the vibe like? What does a typical social look like?                                  “Well we’re a new society, founded this April. We’ve got 53 members, and the socials are very chill and friendly. We’ve got a ‘will it hummus?’ event planned soon to try what outlandish flavours might work well.”

Follow and engage with hummus society @uos_hummussoc

Duck Society (President: Joe, Biochemistry):

What’s the strangest duck fact?                                                                           “This is actually true of all birds, but they have an organ called the gizzard that grinds up stone so birds can absorb nutrients from them, although this can make them prone to heavy metal poisoning.”

What’s the best park for feeding the ducks?                                                 “Endcliffe Park is great – the ducks eat straight from your hand there, but it’s not so convenient for everyone. CVP has fewer ducks but the bonus of a pub. I prefer Weston Park though, and it’s convenient for campus.”

Credit: Instagram @ducksocietyuos

What’s the history of the society?                                                                    “During lockdown a couple called Chris and Emma would feed the ducks on their lockdown walks. The society was born nearly two years ago. Like many of our members, I went to my first duck social hungover and have stuck around since.”

What feed do you use?                                                                                          “We use bird feed from a giant 20kg that’s lasted nearly two years. Porridge oats and peas are good too.”

What’s the vibe like? What does a typical social look like?                              “Everyone’s very approachable and there for a chat. Good mix of the hungover and the nerdy all in one place.”

Follow and engage with duck society @ducksocietyuos