Credit: Unsplash

Assignments and deadlines can be overwhelming as they start to build up at this time of year. Staring at a blank word document knowing you have to fill it with 3000 words is a daunting task and it can be difficult to know where to begin. So I’ve compiled a list of handy steps to help you get started. 

1. Make a list of your deadlines and their relevant details. 

From this you can prioritise your assignments depending on which one requires most of your time by looking at things like word count, grade percentage and due date. You can then begin to set yourself tasks in your diary and work back from the due date. This way, you can set yourself manageable goals each week to ensure you’re not rushing at the last minute.

2.  Background research/reading.

Getting a good scope of the topic at hand is really important. Make sure you read a variety of literature in detail (don’t rely on the abstracts!). The module handbook and reading lists available on blackboard are always a good place to start as these have been especially selected by the module convenor. A good tip is to create a table of relevant readings where you can note down their key points so that they are in a clear format which you can refer back to. Also, create a reference list as you’re doing this so you don’t lose or forget any of the sources. You will then be able to add this list to your write-up and edit it according to which sources you decided to use.

3.  Planning.

Now it’s time to start organising your thoughts and ideas into an essay plan. Structure them in a way that makes sense. For example, don’t dive in at the deep end evaluating complex concepts when you haven’t defined them or provided any context behind them. Also take this chance to book into your lecturers office hours if there’s anything you’re unsure about.

4.  First draft.

Once you have a clear and detailed plan it’s time to start writing up. Be sure to refer back to your essay plan so you maintain that clear structure. Writing up can be a mammoth task so split it into small sections and set yourself goals. For example, aim to get 500 words down by the end of the day. When you have finished your first draft take a break as reading the essay repeatedly can lead to you missing small mistakes. Proof read it after a day or so as viewing it with fresh eyes will help you identify any areas for development. 

5.  Final submission.

There are a few checks to do before your final submission. Firstly, make sure you have the appropriate turnitin template on the front page of your essay filled out correctly alongside page numbers. Then ensure your reference list is accurate and you haven’t missed anything out. Finally, one last read through and you’re good to go! It’s easy to overthink it at this stage and begin fixing things that aren’t broken so remember to believe in your own ability.