Communal fridge in Sheffield’s Students Union announced

The Students’ Union (SU) have introduced a new communal fridge, offering free food to students.

Located next to ‘Our Shop’,  ‘Our Community Fridge’ was opened earlier this year in response to the Cost of Living crisis and rising costs’ impact on the student community. 

Jo Campling, the SU’s Welfare and Sustainability Officer, discussed the scheme with Forge:

“Our Community Fridge is designed to top up your weekly food shop when you really need it. Any student who needs to is welcome to take items from the fridge. It is run by a team of student volunteers and regularly topped up. It uses food waste from supermarkets that would otherwise be going to landfill, so it is also sustainable.

In the long-term, we are campaigning for the government and University to provide a financial system that works for students so university life is affordable, but in the meantime, we hope that our community fridge helps those who are struggling or need additional support.”

This initiative follows the success of a similar communal fridge scheme in the Endcliffe and Ranmoor student village , which collaborates with local supermarkets to receive excess stock to reduce local food waste. 

Many are celebrating the expansion of this scheme to the SU building, as they see it as much more accessible for many students. Believing that this project will have a wider reach.

The Liberation Forum chair, Kiara Delgado, shares the sentiment:

“I am really happy the SU is bringing this initiative closer to students living in city accommodation or simply moving across campus. 

For many cultures, sharing food is considered a love language. I think this is a unique opportunity to spread solidarity among students, and given the cost of living crisis, an awesome way to save money. 

I am really excited to see how this initiative keeps evolving and you’ll definitely see me around the Community Fridge between classes!”

Our Community Fridge is available to all students during SU opening times. 

For more information on current cost of living support and how to access it, look here: https://su.sheffield.ac.uk/news/article/cost-of-living-support.

Image Credits: The University of Sheffield

Bonnie & Clyde’s closure is heartbreaking…& a stark warning to live theatre

I’ve been following the developments in the theatrical world for several years now, marking the highs, the lows, the new and the old having...

Festival of Debate Review: Human Flourishing – A Conceptual Analysis

You may have been told you or your skills are ‘flourishing’ by a lecturer, friend, teacher or even family member since being at university....

Hold tight before you swipe right: The casual hookup culture at University is out of hand.

TW: Mention of sexual assault. Casual sex at university in the UK is a huge cultural rite of passage...

The short, dark days are over and as the summer sun creeps into Sheffield, I thought it was about time we talked about all...