Students’ Unions Our Shop and Bar One “forced” into raising prices by up to 77% since 2020

Prices in the Students’ Union have increased after facing a cost price spike over the past three years.

Since 2020, meal deal prices in the Students’ Union ‘Our Shop’ have gone up as much as £1 and pints in Bar One have risen by up to 80p.

Anna Campbell, the Activities and Development Officer at the Students’ Union, said cost price increases have forced the SU to increase retail prices across their outlets, but they are constantly trying to negotiate improved deals with suppliers.

She added: “It’s tricky, but we do what we can to balance offering good value with generating money to reinvest. Every penny spent in our outlets funds support, activity, and facilities for students.”

Our Shop’s Tiffin meal deal now costs £4.50 instead of its previous £3.50 price tag, and their ‘Sandwich King’ meal deal has gone up from £3.00 to £3.50.

The Bakery Deal, which includes a hot drink and pastry, has increased from £2.00 to £3.00.

Richard Wain, the outlet manager of Our Shop, said the store has “worked hard” to keep prices the same where possible but has been “forced” to raise some due to these cost price increases.

He added: “It’s a fine balancing act between trying to offer value for students and maintaining a margin to enable the budgeted bottom line contribution back into the SU.”

Since 2020, ‘Our Shop’ has had the cost price of their sandwiches go up by as much as 31 percent. The average cost price of milk has gone up by 77%.

The price of drinks in Bar One have also increased since 2020, some as much as £1 a pint, yet some are cheaper than in years.

For example, Rosie’s Raspberry Cider has been replaced by Liley’s Mango cider which is £1 more expensive.

Strongbow Dark Fruits has been replaced by Thatcher’s Fusion, which is 80p more expensive, and Bottled Peroni has also increased by 50p. 

Guinness, Carling, Black and Gold Ale, and bottled Kopparberg, are also now all 50p more expensive.

However, BrewDog Punk IPA has been replaced by BrewDog Wingman IPA, which is 75p cheaper – and Orchard Thieves has been replaced by Thatcher’s Gold, with a saving of 70p. 

The price of Amstel in Bar One has even gone down by a penny since 2020, from £3.00 to £2.99.

Image Credits: The University of Sheffield

Book Review: Babycakes ~ Armistead Maupin

A sailor walks into a bar, meets a reporter and says he’s defected. Don’t wait for a punchline, because this is no laughing matter....

Dance Society named Society of the Year

The University of Sheffield Dance Society has been crowned as Society of the 2023/24 academic year at the annual Activities Awards, which took place...

BAME Students Part Time Officer questioned over lack of work since taking over role

Criticism has been raised over Part Time BAME Students Officer Ahmad Waris’ perceived lack of work since his time in office.  Speaking to Forge Press...

Opinion: Should centre stage be a place for protest?

Theatres have long been places of public expression and discourse, and never has this been clearer than it is now. Lots of new plays...

Strange Horticulture Review: A plant puzzle game that channels your inner Sherlock

Welcome to Strange Horticulture, an eerie plant shop nestled somewhere in Undermere that you inherited from your recently deceased uncle. Your mission? Save the...

To what extent should your boss be dictating your style at work?

Work. Love or hate it; enjoy or despise it, having a job and earning money is a fundamental part of living which...

How student loans and the economic crisis have pushed students to pick up part-time jobs

Rising living costs and personal financial difficulties have been plaguing people across the UK in recent months. Those who were already struggling have been...