Sophie Layton (she/her)" />

Ellie & Vito win Strictly Come Dancing 2023

Actress Ellie Leach has been crowned the champion of Strictly Come Dancing 2023, alongside partner Vito Coppola. Despite coming in second place with the judges’ indicative scores, Ellie and Vito won the public vote, making them the 21st winners of the show since its inception in 2004.

Back in September, the cast of 15 celebrities including presenter Krishnan Guru-Murthy, Paralympian Jody Cundy and comedian Les Dennis united for the latest series, being eliminated week by week until only the three finalists (Ellie Leach and Vito Coppola, Layton Williams and Nikita Kuzmin, and Bobby Brazier and Dianne Buswell) remained. With various themed weeks including Halloween, movies and musicals, this year’s competition was fiercer than ever, with the final featuring the youngest finalists ever in Strictly history!

The finalists of Strictly Come Dancing 2023. From left to right – Champions Ellie Leach & Vito Coppola, & runners-up Nikita Kuzmin, Layton Williams, Dianne Buswell & Bobby Brazier. Image Credit: BBC

Tonight’s live final saw the couples take on three dances apiece, alongside interludes from the professional dancers and a performance from Cher. Their performances tonight left all three couples within 4 points of each other, although these scores from judges Anton Du Beke, Shirley Ballas, Motsi Mabuse and Craig Revel Horwood were only illustrative.

Ellie and Vito’s performance this series has been widely praised by both the other couples, judges and the wider public, and saw them receive the most votes to become this series’ champions. With some of their favourite dances from the season returning for one final outing, Ellie and Vito took the competition, and nation, by storm and have lifted the glitterball trophy!

All episodes of Strictly Come Dancing are available now on BBC iPlayer. Strictly Come Dancing will return for their Christmas special, airing on Christmas Day

Image Credit: BBC

Fire Service called to Drama Studio as smoke reported

Both South Yorkshire Fire and Rescue and South Yorkshire Police have been called to the University of Sheffield Drama Studio on Shearwood Road this...

Pro-Palestine protesters camp outside SU following demonstrations in US universities

Dozens of students and staff members have erected encampment outside the Students’ Union building since May 1 to show solidarity with Palestinians, in the...

Book Review: Wicked – The Life and Times of the Wicked Witch of the West ~ Gregory Maguire

With the splash of the water bucket, the Wicked Witch of the West melted in a shrieking mess in front of Dorothy, aghast at...

Sounds of unity: collaborative open mic night brings together musicians and students

On the 13th March, the Music Department Society and Octagon Records, two University of Sheffield societies, brought together their audiences for a big open...

Touring Production Review: The 39 Steps

When you go to the theatre you never expect what you see to be totally realistic, yet, usually, the characters on stage don’t seem...

University baseball club to hold charity match against Goodwin staff

University of Sheffield’s baseball club will face off against staff from Sport & Physical Activity in their first ever charity match.  The team, affectionately known...

Interview: Cluedo 2’s Ellie Leach and Jason Durr with director Mark Bell

For Strictly Come Dancing champion and former Coronation Street actress Ellie Leach and ex Heartbeat and Casualty actor Jason Durr, the chance to play...