Cost of living: Food pantry sees fivefold increase in demand

A food pantry in Longley said they have seen a “500% increase” in demand for food parcels since its launch in 2020, due to the ongoing cost of living crisis.

L4G Food Pantry, which opens its doors to residents from 11am to 1pm every Wednesday at Longley Four Greens Community Centre, is run by volunteers and currently serves more than 130 members.

Instead of receiving vouchers from social workers to collect free food at traditional food banks, users with financial hardship pay £4 for an 8-week membership and contribute £3 each time they visit to select from a wide variety of food and products.

Penny Thompson, the development coordinator at the community centre, said: “We were listening to the people for how they want the food bank to be set up.

“Many liked the idea of a food bank but felt it took away their dignity and respect. They thought they were almost like charity cases.

“I was wondering how I could change this model, so I asked the community to inform us how they want the food pantry run. Everything we do is based on what the community is telling us and how we can benefit them.”

Ms Thompson also said she has encountered more people struggling to decide whether to turn on the heater or feed their children as winter comes because they cannot afford both.

She continued: “People generally can cook three or four meals a week on the food they come and choose themselves. With the money they save, our members can afford another four meals for the week and be able to put the heating on.”

In addition to food parcels, the community centre also offers employment support, welfare coaches and route to housing grants. It also connects people living in the neighbourhood with social prescribing link workers.

Mandy Williamson, who used to be a recipient of food but now helps with the operation of the food pantry, said she is grateful for the assistance she received.

She said: “Obviously some people were referred because they have issues with mental health and money but they still appreciate what they have, whether it is little or a lot.

“I can understand people who are in need of food because I have been in their situation before.”

Second to the left: Mandy Williamson. Third to the left: Penny Thompson.

L4G Food Pantry partners with Sheffield City Council and large supermarket chains, including Tesco, Asda and Co-op, to secure food donation and resources.

It is also looking to take advantage of the greenery in the area to grow fresh vegetables and expand its community cafe to offer hot meals at reasonable prices to the community in the future.

You can learn more about L4G Food Pantry at: https://www.longley4g.org.uk/what-we-can-offer

Additional reporting by Peter Li.