‘The Killer’: “A good thrill with much more going on”-Review

David Fincher’s latest movie The Killer follows ‘the killer’ (Michael Fassbender) on his quest to eliminate the clean up team dispatched to murder him after a botched job. Whilst the film doesn’t  offer as much emotion or character work akin to Fincher’s previous films such as The Social Network (2010), it’s a good ride if you’re looking for a thrill, with a lot going on beneath its surface  that people don’t give it credit for.  

Michal Fassbender’s character ‘the killer’ is the drive of the film, and on the surface the writers  don’t give you much to work with him besides from his primary goal which is established early on  in the runtime. In terms of character traits, the writers threw in, what I found to be nonsensical,  narration. I believe that this narration was intended to serve the purpose of developing audiences’  understanding of the character, given his minimal interactions with other characters making it difficult to empathise/ understand him. However, I found that the lack of character interaction is  where the movie shines, and if anything, the narration does disservice to the film – honestly I  would just ignore it (With the narration being heavy in the beginning I fell asleep for the first fifteen  minutes.) 

When he is alone, which is for the majority of the film, you feel this harrowing, but effective, sense  of artificial loneliness. Making you feel like you’re on a night drive/ flight. The Killer’s day to day/  night to night activities featuring little examination of the character leads to this sense of  disassociation. Whilst many critics might argue that this is poor character work, I found it worked very well for the story Fincher was trying to tell. The Killer himself is also dissociated, driven only  by his goal to protect the ones he loves – and in turn you empathise with his goal. This also haves  you enthralled by his day to day/ night to night activities in pursuing said goal. Whether that be his clever disguises/ infiltrations or his effective interrogations of people involved in his attempted  murder, and disposals there of… 

The focus on his dissociation and loneliness leading to the focus on his day to day/ night to night  activities he takes part in to achieve his goal builds investment, and eventually tension, as you realise he is alone in his quest. One moment that came from this was particularly nail biting, and  what I would describe as the best on screen action I’ve seen in years featuring Sala Baker’s ‘The Brute.’ 

The Killer’s rare, but golden, interactions with other characters, namely ‘The Expert’ (Tilda  Swinton) are where you get much of the unravelling that you might find absent from the majority of  the runtime – but the film works for this so well. Taking you out of this state of disassociation, and  beckoning you to question the characters motives – Tilda Swinton really shines here. 

Overall, I would say that David Fincher’s The Killer is a very good film, and worth the watch  despite falling short of his previous works. Whilst it is criticised for its superficiality, I think that  there is so much more to dig out for more attentive viewers.  

4/5

Image Credit: TMDB

Sheffield Wednesday shock league-leaders West Brom in five-goal thriller

Goals from Marvin Johnson, Josh Windass and Anthony Musaba clinched Sheffield Wednesday ’s first league win since the opening day against the league leaders West Bromwich Albion.

🔴 Sheffield Wednesday vs West Brom: LIVE updates from the EFL Championship

Follow along with live updates from Hillsborough as Sheffield Wednesday host West Bromwich Albion in the EFL Championship.

University of Sheffield researchers make ground-breaking prostate cancer advancement

Researchers from the University of Sheffield are the first to discover a new form of immunotherapy for prostate cancer.

In Memoriam: Dame Maggie Smith

As the world mourns the passing of the legendary actress, we look back at her illustrious stage career

Sheffield Theatres Review: Dizzy

"Reading the Quran to the tune of Bob the Builder" & other comedic quips mark the latest production from Sheffield Theatres teams!

Sheffield Theatres Review: A Doll’s House

Ibsen's classic is a pleasant surprise, with Siena Kelly a standout performance in a standout show

Science and tech societies to dive into this academic year

With another fresher’s week comes plenty of opportunity to dive into societies and try something new. There are a wide variety of societies for...