The Winter Blues: How to push through the final days before Spring

Here we go again, that dreaded time of year.  

From Christmas burnout to the “New Year, new me”  expectations weighing down on you, the winter slump  truly begins to drag. I don’t know about you, but it feels  like everyone around me is falling victim to the seasonal  depression pull alongside surviving exam season. You are certainly not alone. A case of the winter blues can easily creep up on us. Why wouldn’t it?

Honestly, it’s freezing, dark, rainy, windy, need I go on? Getting into bed wearing my cosy fluffy jumper at 4pm with a big  pint of ice cream is sounding more and more appealing. I mean, hey, other animals hibernate so why can’t we? The NHS claims that seasonal depression is  experienced by people of all ages in the UK, with  symptoms including, but not limited to, the following: lethargy, low mood, overeating, feeling down and unsociable. I’m sure you can relate to one or all of these symptoms, but everyone is affected differently. To be completely candid, I know that this affects me every year and  somehow, it still consumes me. I go weeks without human contact where my closest companion is my bed, chocolate and a soothing face mask.

These short days consist of doom-scrolling through tears looking at my summer pictures and how rubbish my life is right now in comparison. The consequences of the seasonal flop can be quite taxing on one’s mental and physical health.  

While some of you naturally like winter weather, a true gift, I think most of us can agree that these later winter months are quite tedious. Annabel Morland, a master’s student in Genetics, doesn’t really mind winter on the whole, but does find the darker afternoons make her lethargic, “I just want to get into bed and not do any work.”

The socially draining Christmas period followed by exam season in January can really take a toll on students. After that final exam students often come to realise that they have completely neglected their physical and mental wellbeing, which can be very  overwhelming.  

Lauren Shepherd has expressed her love for the  outdoors during winter, “going out just boosts my  morale and wakes me up.” She mentions that she always sees something that makes her smile, “yesterday I saw a magpie sitting in the tree when the sun was setting, which brightened my day a little bit.” She mentions that “the contrast of being outside in the cold and  warm hot chocolate or tea to follow is exciting and makes me feel alive.”

Fergus Foord, a Politics student in his final year, noticed that, following the assessment period, he had been cooped up in the Information Commons for the past 2 months, “my body and mind had turned to jelly. I think that people  tend to stay inside too often when it’s cold and forget just how important the outdoors are for mental and physical health.” He plans to make a conscious effort to counteract this, he believes  that “one should brave the cold and make sure they  spend time outdoors just like they might in summer.” I have adopted this habit recently and ditching my cosy studio flat for my trainers has proved to be highly effective. My mood has significantly improved, and I am finally feeling more human.  

Konstantina Lamprou, a Law student in her final year currently finishing off her exams, doesn’t let the  brutish season affect her, advising others to “keep busy and avoid being at home, so that you don’t feel miserable. Getting up  and out of the house early helps with my productivity  and general health during winter.” When she is not overly busy with work she  finds pleasure in an active social life, as “spending quality time with friends is something essential to my happiness and a develops a healthy balance.”

Paddy Cole, a business student in his final year, finds that “winter really gets me down during busy times. I’ve found that booking holidays and making plans for summer gives me something to look forward to. My simple  winter pleasures include going for wintery walks, hot chocolates, and cooking nice food; as well as journaling to allow me to recognise my feelings and what action I may need to take.” 

Winter is only a difficult time if we give it the power  to be. There are so many simple ways to find pleasure  during this time. Take this as your sign for some light  outdoor activity or cook yourself a hearty meal with  friends. I have been getting outside and cooking at home  every day for the past couple of weeks and I do not plan on stopping any time soon. 

While taking these measures won’t emulate the natural  summer endorphins, they will certainly make winter  pass much quicker. Take your mental health into your  own hands, don’t let the winter blues win!  

Struggling Mentally?

You can find more information on the university’s  website.

You can contact the Samaritans for emergency support on 116 123.

Why is everyone running half marathons all of a sudden?

You can run, but you can’t hide - half marathon fever is sweeping across our students like a newfound epidemic. Your friends are no...

University announces Weston Park May Fayre collaboration

The University of Sheffield is among a number of groups, including Sheffield City Council and Heart Radio, coming together to facilitate the annual Weston...

AGMs 2024: Craft Club Committee formed after AGM re-run

The Craft Club Society have recently revealed their committee for the 2024/25 academic year, after previously struggling to achieve sufficient interest from members. The...

Book Review: Babycakes ~ Armistead Maupin

A sailor walks into a bar, meets a reporter and says he’s defected. Don’t wait for a punchline, because this is no laughing matter....

Dance Society named Society of the Year

The University of Sheffield Dance Society has been crowned as Society of the 2023/24 academic year at the annual Activities Awards, which took place...

BAME Students Part Time Officer questioned over lack of work since taking over role

Criticism has been raised over Part Time BAME Students Officer Ahmad Waris’ perceived lack of work since his time in office.  Speaking to Forge Press...

Opinion: Should centre stage be a place for protest?

Theatres have long been places of public expression and discourse, and never has this been clearer than it is now. Lots of new plays...