Q&A with Lily Byrne: The secret life of an SU President

Ever wondered what it takes to be an SU officer? Our 2023/2024 SU President Lily Byrne sat down to an interview with us to explain what happens behind the scenes of helping run the SU. 

FP:  As SU president, what do you do?

LB: The SU President supports and leads our SU Officer team, and is also Chair of the Students’ Union’s Trustee Board. This involves helping to coordinate the work of the team, supporting all of the Officers to implement and deliver on their objectives, and ensuring they commit the duties that are outlined within their role in our Students’ Unions Bye-Laws (a written constitution that guides our organisation). I also coordinate and liaise with members of the Students’ Union Senior Leadership Team, and University Executive Board. My role also oversees all external lobbying and student representation on a wider national level, including serving as the lead delegate for the NUS, this year I was also appointed NUS Regional Lead: North East & Yorkshire. Alongside this, I engage with members of local community groups and City Council to promote student interests. These objectives aim to maximise student engagement with SU activities and democracy, on an SU, local, and national scale. 

FP: In one word, how would you describe the role?

LB: Empowering. 

FP: Is the role so far what you expected it to be like? 

LB: It was a bit of a crazy time when I started as SU President. I completed my training and introductory meetings months before I began, as I knew I was going to miss the initial couple of weeks training with the team, because I was on a degree-related research project in Borneo, studying mushrooms in a rainforest! Some of the biggest rewards and challenges are what is unexpected about this role, you can predict your manifesto (you wrote it and know it more than anyone else). But the other aspects of the role and constant changes going on in students’ lives, University spaces, the City, and the world are often unpredictable. Though this only amplifies the importance of being able to react and act under pressure, to amplify student voice and advocate for student needs on all of these matters. In many ways it was what I’d expected, but in others it has exceeded expectations, especially in terms of the amount of support and warm embrace you receive from staff, the opportunities you get to influence national student politics, and the amazing friendships you make within the team. 

FP:  How do you feel about the work you and your team have done so far?

LB: I’m incredibly proud of the work of our team so far this year. It’s such a rare and wonderful opportunity to work alongside a group of students (and recent graduates) who are so passionate about making life better for our whole community of students here in Sheffield and nationally. Hearing about the ways they continually advocate for students with the University is also really inspiring, as well as all of the projects, campaigns, and events the team have created so far. There are so many to choose from, but some highlights so far have been the new free Wellbeing Wednesday activities, introducing evidence-free extensions, and working with student leaders across the country to ensure student issues are heard on a national scale, ahead of the next general election. I can’t wait to see the changes we can continue to make in term 2, and I’m really looking forward to hearing the ideas from all the new candidates in the 2024 SU Officer Elections.

FP: Were there any unexpected things you didn’t realise were part of the job?

LB: How many barriers there are for you to achieve your goals. There are a lot of people around you who want to see you succeed and achieve your goals, and who will be there to help you every step of the way. However, so much is involved in getting a single thing done, never mind an entire manifesto. And on top of your manifesto, there are many other aspects that come with the job, for example; being a Trustee, policy goals from SU Council, or needing to react to changes happening in local and national spaces. It is sometimes really hard to push through all of the setbacks and stay motivated, but the people around you and students who could benefit make it worth it. Even if you just make a small step forward, you’re setting the next person up for success. 

FP: How much time do you get to spend on your manifesto? Why? How hard is it to balance? 

LB: It really varies week to week, but I try to block out time in my diary to ensure that I’m working on my own manifesto points, while also taking the time to support the team and represent students in meetings with the University. There are so many incredible staff teams within the SU who work in collaboration with Officers to support and drive their goals, and are vital in supporting you to bring your ideas to life. But the other aspects of the role are often representing student views in spaces within the University, local democratic spaces, and beyond. This is to ensure that student views and voices are being heard, and when certain decisions are being made which will have a direct impact on students, we ensure student representatives are in those spaces.

FP: What is the best part of the role?

LB: Feeling like my work really does make a difference to students in Sheffield! It can be really varied too – from recording podcasts, starting a campaign, and supporting student societies, to meeting with senior management at the University, or our local MPs and Councillors. And doing all of this with a team of incredibly motivated student Officers and friends, who I admire so much, who put their all into making positive change for students – it’s something I really cherish, and feel very grateful for. 

FP: What is the worst part of the role?

How emotionally invested you get to be in your role, because you realise how much you care and how much you want to support students. Which is wonderful in a way, but there are so many things going on and there is only so much capacity that you have and making the decision to say no can be really challenging. In fact, you have to learn the hard way to say no, you cannot be in every space at the same time ( I can’t say I’ve tried, but if I had a time-turner I would probably try). 

FP: What are the key skills and SU officer needs?

LB: There’s so much room to grow and gain skills in this role, that I’d say anyone thinking of nominating themselves just needs a passion to make life better for students here in Sheffield, and across the country. It’s such a rare and brilliant opportunity to be able to get nominated on your own manifesto, and then make those ideas happen. 

FP: What advice would you give to students looking to step up to your role? 

LB: My advice would be to go for it! Even if you don’t end up winning, the experience of campaigning as a candidate is really rewarding and you’ll meet lots of lovely people along the way. However, if you do get it, be prepared for the rewarding challenge ahead of you. There are constantly highs and lows, but such is life.

University announces Weston Park May Fayre collaboration

The University of Sheffield is among a number of groups, including Sheffield City Council and Heart Radio, coming together to facilitate the annual Weston...

AGMs 2024: Craft Club Committee formed after AGM re-run

The Craft Club Society have recently revealed their committee for the 2024/25 academic year, after previously struggling to achieve sufficient interest from members. The...

Book Review: Babycakes ~ Armistead Maupin

A sailor walks into a bar, meets a reporter and says he’s defected. Don’t wait for a punchline, because this is no laughing matter....

Dance Society named Society of the Year

The University of Sheffield Dance Society has been crowned as Society of the 2023/24 academic year at the annual Activities Awards, which took place...

BAME Students Part Time Officer questioned over lack of work since taking over role

Criticism has been raised over Part Time BAME Students Officer Ahmad Waris’ perceived lack of work since his time in office.  Speaking to Forge Press...

Opinion: Should centre stage be a place for protest?

Theatres have long been places of public expression and discourse, and never has this been clearer than it is now. Lots of new plays...