University of Sheffield student stuck in Gaza has crossed the border into Egypt

Said Zaneen, a University of Sheffield PhD student, has now left Gaza and crossed the border into Egypt. 

In a comment released on Friday by Lily Byrne, Students’ Union President, she said: “Early this morning Said, his wife and three children crossed the border into Sinai, Egypt.

“They are making their way to Cairo where we hope they will be able to complete and secure their Visas so they can safely return to the United Kingdom. 

“We are continuing to support them through the Visa Application process, and any other documentations to ensure they’re able to return.”

Said is a part of the Urban Studies and Planning Department researching humanitarian and development interventions in Gaza. 

The campus was first notified of Said’s situation back in November 2023 upon a social media post by the University of Sheffield Palestine Society. 

In November, the university and its Students’ Union claimed that they have been in contact with Said and are doing all they can to support him both financially and in terms of his visa.

A spokesperson from the University of Sheffield said: “While we cannot share details about individual students, the University has been in regular contact with Said and is doing all it can to support him, including providing specific financial help, as well as pastoral and wellbeing support.

“The University has also liaised with a number of external partners and contacts around this case including the Russell Group, Universities UK, the British Council and our local MP Paul Blomfield, who has contacted the Home Office and the Foreign Office.

“Ensuring our community is open to scholars and students from across the world is always our commitment and we work hard to provide advice and support to students, which includes helping them understand legal requirements in relation to UK student registration and visas.”

Lily said she is “so proud” of the “compassion, support, and strength” of students and the wider Sheffield community during this difficult time. 

She also added: “Our hearts go out to Said and his family. We wish them health and safety, and will continue to do everything we can to secure this for them.”

Read the full statement here.

SUTCo Review: Shakespeare in the Park: As You Like It

This weekend saw the Sheffield University Theatre Company (SUTCo) take over Crookes Valley Park for a two-day production of Shakespeare’s As You Like It...

University announces Weston Park May Fayre collaboration

The University of Sheffield is among a number of groups, including Sheffield City Council and Heart Radio, coming together to facilitate the annual Weston...

AGMs 2024: Craft Club Committee formed after AGM re-run

The Craft Club Society have recently revealed their committee for the 2024/25 academic year, after previously struggling to achieve sufficient interest from members. The...