University dance society stuns at national competition

Talented dancers from the University of Sheffield competed in the largest university dance competition in the UK earlier this month.

Heading to Loughborough with around 25 other universities, the dance society took part in an extensive 14 categories.

Ranging from ballet and Latin to hip hop and tap, 102 students from Sheffield took to the stage on the weekend of 9-10 March.

Figures on the judging panel included Strictly Come Dancing’s Karen Hauer and the Royal Ballet’s Matthew Ball.

Sheffield beat its university rivals to take first place in Latin.

Talia Keane, a journalism student and key member of the Latin team, said: “The Loughborough competition had the most professional standard of dancing that I have ever seen at a university competition. The atmosphere was incredible and the celebrity judges were all people that any dancer will have idolised for years. It was incredible to be able to perform in front of such dance legends!

“For my Latin team to come out on top and win first place at the biggest uni competition in the UK was honestly the highlight of my uni life. I’m so proud of my Latin team and every single person from Sheffield Dance Soc who took part.”

The competition celebrated its 16th anniversary by showcasing the skills of over 1200 dancers.

Other universities taking part in the competition included York, Nottingham and Oxford.

SUTCo Review: Shakespeare in the Park: As You Like It

This weekend saw the Sheffield University Theatre Company (SUTCo) take over Crookes Valley Park for a two-day production of Shakespeare’s As You Like It...

University announces Weston Park May Fayre collaboration

The University of Sheffield is among a number of groups, including Sheffield City Council and Heart Radio, coming together to facilitate the annual Weston...

AGMs 2024: Craft Club Committee formed after AGM re-run

The Craft Club Society have recently revealed their committee for the 2024/25 academic year, after previously struggling to achieve sufficient interest from members. The...