Sold-out ROAR forced to close early and branded ‘unsanitary’ due to water shortage in venue

Last night’s ROAR was forced into an early finish after its venue, the Foundry, ran out of water.

The special Varsity-edition of the SU club night was fully sold out, and was set to stay open until 4am, but an issue with the water feed to the Students’ Union building forced an early close.

At 1:10am the water in the toilets and sinks in Foundry stopped, with the SU stating, in a statement earlier today, that it was “the health and safety risks created by the unsanitary conditions” which “made it unsafe to continue running the event”. 

The statement also said: “We are sorry for any inconvenience caused and that this happened on one of the biggest Roar’s of the year. The issue has now been resolved and we are open again tonight for Soul Jam.”

They were keen to stress that all ticket holders will receive a refund. This will be done automatically for those who purchased their tickets online. 

Those with society-provided tickets will have to contact their social secretaries to arrange compensation. 

Those who paid on the door will need to email [email protected] with proof of purchase.

The event was part of a set of three ROAR events dedicated to Varsity season – celebrating the sports competition between the University and Sheffield Hallam. 

Yesterday, Sheffield Hallam beat the University of Sheffield in the competitions opening ice hockey event 7 goals to 6.

Book Review: Babycakes ~ Armistead Maupin

A sailor walks into a bar, meets a reporter and says he’s defected. Don’t wait for a punchline, because this is no laughing matter....

Dance Society named Society of the Year

The University of Sheffield Dance Society has been crowned as Society of the 2023/24 academic year at the annual Activities Awards, which took place...

BAME Students Part Time Officer questioned over lack of work since taking over role

Criticism has been raised over Part Time BAME Students Officer Ahmad Waris’ perceived lack of work since his time in office.  Speaking to Forge Press...

Opinion: Should centre stage be a place for protest?

Theatres have long been places of public expression and discourse, and never has this been clearer than it is now. Lots of new plays...

Strange Horticulture Review: A plant puzzle game that channels your inner Sherlock

Welcome to Strange Horticulture, an eerie plant shop nestled somewhere in Undermere that you inherited from your recently deceased uncle. Your mission? Save the...

To what extent should your boss be dictating your style at work?

Work. Love or hate it; enjoy or despise it, having a job and earning money is a fundamental part of living which...

How student loans and the economic crisis have pushed students to pick up part-time jobs

Rising living costs and personal financial difficulties have been plaguing people across the UK in recent months. Those who were already struggling have been...