Cash for Concepts: University’s Emerge Awards offer £3,000

University of Sheffield students, graduates and staff have the opportunity to win £3,000 with the launch of the inaugural Emerge Awards Showcase.

The Enterprise Community at the University provides support and insights into the start-up industry.

Its aim is to ‘bring students, graduates, staff, experts and businesses together to form a diverse, enterprising community’.

Now, the Emerge: Be Enterprising team has announced its first-ever Awards Showcase, which will take place on Tuesday, 30 April at INOX.

The team is looking for a ‘diverse range of ground breaking’ entrepreneurial proposals, and these can be submitted by any students, recent graduates and staff from across the University.

The main winners across four categories will receive a £3,000 prize, with the opportunity to use the money to turn your idea into reality.

The main categories are: Enterprising Project of the Year, Start-up of the Year, Community Venture of the Year and Sustainability Venture of the Year. 

Applicants will pitch and present their business ideas during the afternoon of Wednesday, 17 April with a five minute presentation to a judging panel.

The Emerge team says the aims of the new awards are: 

• To recognise and celebrate entrepreneurial based activity across the university
  • To accelerate future growth of projects/startups by awarding financial support
  • To incentivise students to develop ideas and launch ventures throughout their time at the university
  • To drive a culture and behaviour change towards a more enterprising, innovative, challenge-led community.

The team can be contacted at [email protected].

Applications close on Friday, 29 March, and can be submitted here.

Book Review: Babycakes ~ Armistead Maupin

A sailor walks into a bar, meets a reporter and says he’s defected. Don’t wait for a punchline, because this is no laughing matter....

Dance Society named Society of the Year

The University of Sheffield Dance Society has been crowned as Society of the 2023/24 academic year at the annual Activities Awards, which took place...

BAME Students Part Time Officer questioned over lack of work since taking over role

Criticism has been raised over Part Time BAME Students Officer Ahmad Waris’ perceived lack of work since his time in office.  Speaking to Forge Press...

Opinion: Should centre stage be a place for protest?

Theatres have long been places of public expression and discourse, and never has this been clearer than it is now. Lots of new plays...

Strange Horticulture Review: A plant puzzle game that channels your inner Sherlock

Welcome to Strange Horticulture, an eerie plant shop nestled somewhere in Undermere that you inherited from your recently deceased uncle. Your mission? Save the...

To what extent should your boss be dictating your style at work?

Work. Love or hate it; enjoy or despise it, having a job and earning money is a fundamental part of living which...

How student loans and the economic crisis have pushed students to pick up part-time jobs

Rising living costs and personal financial difficulties have been plaguing people across the UK in recent months. Those who were already struggling have been...