Ornella Bressan (she/her)" />

Top Anticipated Games of 2024: What to Look Forward to!

From Final Fantasy to Warhammer, check out a few of the most anticipated games to be released this year. 

NIGHTINGALE

Credit: Inflexion Games

Release: February 22 

Platforms: Windows

Genre: RPG Survival

Multiplayer gamers, this one’s for you. Inflexion Games’ first project is an open-world PVE survival game set in a Victorian fantasy world. You are playing one of the many humans scattered across far-away realms who is trying to find the lost city of Nightingale. Go on a solo or co-op adventure where you need to craft, build and fight for survival whilst doing so. The concept of travelling through portals to different realms makes it available for online multiplayer as you can visit your friends’ world and fight together.  

The particularity of realms comes down to the Realm Cards. These cards allow players to gain control over how they travel through the portal and connect to new realms. Players craft the cards using materials they find in the environment, with each Realm Card being a modifier that determines elements such as environment, weather, resources, creatures, and more. 

SENUA’S SAGA: HELLBLADE II

ss_5058af70555132c886193466dd6763c619caf2fa.jpg (3840×2160)
Credit: Ninja Theory

Release: May 21

Platforms: Windows, Xbox Series S and X

Genre: Action-adventure single player

Celtic warrior, Senua, returns for another brutal journey of survival. The sequel that was first announced four years ago during the Games Awards was delayed a number of times but it looks like it won’t happen this time around. With graphics developed on Unreal Engine 5, immerse yourself in another cinematic storytelling game with sounds and visuals that will keep you hooked like the first game. In the sequel, Senua intends to save those who have fallen victim to the horrors of tyranny.  The gameplay will be similar to the first one, but developers have said they’ve raised the bar when it comes to combat, so expect more detailed fights.

LIFE BY YOU

Credit: Paradox Interactive

Release: June 4

Platforms: Windows

Genre: Life simulator

Sweden developers, Paradox Interactive, most anticipated life simulator, that has been compared to the reigning Sims franchise, will encompass an open world where players will get complete control of the game. Are you walking out of your house with your main Sim and you catch an interest in a passerby NPC? No problem, just click on the NPC and take control of their life. This game gives you complete control of the world you are building: the humans, the houses, the conversations, and the city itself. You can edit anything your eyes lay upon, whether that’s a bush that has been placed a little bit too close to the road, or a hair colour you’re suddenly not a fan of anymore. With the premise of Life By You saying goodbye to loading screens, expect to be able to follow your sims to school and work. 

WARHAMMER 40,000: SPACE MARINE 2

Credit: Saber Interactive

Release: September 9

Platforms: PS5, Windows, Xbox Series

Genre: Action-adventure, Third Person Shooter

After over 10 years of waiting, the sequel of Space Marine is approaching and players will get their hands in playing Captain Lieutenant Titus, a superpowered human soldier who fights for the Imperium of Man against its enemies, with the main one being alien Tyranids. The game is classed as hack and slash, which means you will primarily be fighting with melee weapons, but if your enemies are too far away you will still be able to use ranged weapons like the Boltgun, a weapon that fires self-propelled bolts that explode on impact with their target. The story takes place shortly after the first Space Marine, where Captain Titus has been demoted and taken into custody by Inquisitor Thrax under suspicion of being a heretic and conspiring with the forces of Chaos. From the trailers, the game revealed it will be available for co-op of up to three players.

University baseball club to hold charity match against Goodwin staff

University of Sheffield’s baseball club will face off against staff from Sport & Physical Activity in their first ever charity match.  The team, affectionately known...

Interview: Cluedo 2’s Ellie Leach and Jason Durr with director Mark Bell

For Strictly Come Dancing champion and former Coronation Street actress Ellie Leach and ex Heartbeat and Casualty actor Jason Durr, the chance to play...

PhotoSoc & Forge Press Competition Winner Crowned

A monochrome picture of a leafless tree has won the Forge Press and Photography Society joint competition. The picture, taken by HanQing Xing under...

Are gigs and festivals becoming more and more inaccessible to young people?

Festivals are a rite of passage for young people. Most GCSE and A-Level students go to Reading and Leeds to have a paradigmatic first...

Rose-tinted glasses: Do my favourite games stand the test of time?

After finishing the recent Fallout series on Amazon, I was left itching to jump back into Fallout 4, and with Bethesda’s announcement of a free next-gen update for the game shortly on the horizon, I started to wonder whether I’d love it as much as I did back in 2015.

Opinion: Should Celebrities star on Stage?

We are always seeing celebrity cast announcements for theatre shows: this year alone Self Esteem (Rebecca Lucy Taylor) has starred in the West End...

Disordered eating is not just ‘girl dinner’

TW: Discussion of mental health and eating disorders. According to explodingtopics.com, the average TikTok user spends 2 hours a...