As many as 13 trees to fall to build new university Central Teaching Laboratory

As many as 13 trees to be cut down to allow for the construction of the University of Sheffield’s new (CLT) Central Teaching Lab.

Save The Trees! action group says they are “dismayed” at the planned felling.

The group said: “We call upon the university to reconsider their plans for the CTL development in order to retain these trees.”

Sheffield Tree Action Group (STAG) have also “expressed their concern” at the recent development.

Four trees have already been felled to allow for an electricity sub-station top be built. 

The remaining nine trees which are set to be felled later this year are located outside of the university’s Information Commons building (IC) and near the University of Sheffield tram stop.

A spokesperson for the University of Sheffield said: “Felling trees is always a last resort for the University. 

“The root ball of a mature tree is at least as large as the canopy, which unfortunately means that in order to make full and most efficient use of the brownfield site for our new central teaching labs building, nine trees need to be felled.

“Four trees have already been felled in the vicinity to prepare for the relocation of an electricity sub-station. In line with our policy, we plant two trees for any single tree we fell, as close as possible to the felling location.”

Where the Central Teaching Lab is set to be built

The trees are London Plane trees which are known for their efficiency in absorbing pollutants.

Save The Trees! said London Planes are “specifically planted” in cities for their abortion qualities.

They said: “Not only do they absorb emissions, but they bring greenery to our campus, connecting us to nature and bringing some beauty to our lives.”

A motion was passed at a general meeting of the University of Sheffield University and College Union (UCU) encouraging the retention of trees in this development and in the future.

The new Central Teaching Laboratory will be used to house students from The Faculty of Science.

The Central Teaching Laboratory

In a scheme introduction document released by the university in 2023, the building will contain two 300 student teaching laboratories, a Medical Teaching Unit, and collaborative learning spaces.

The document also said: “The building need was initiated from ‘The Science Estates Development Framework’ (SEDP) which set out to address improving student experience, attracting high-quality students, supporting academics with quality research and achieving ambitious sustainability targets.”

“The CTL will deliver a world-class student learning experience aligned with the One University pillar for collaborative and supportive teaching environments.

“It will create a focal point for the University’s Western Bank campus and provide excellent connectivity to the University’s existing teaching facilities.”

A petition created by Save The Trees! upon receiving news of the planned felling has reached over 370 signatures. You can sign the petition here.

The University of Sheffield also said: “Our new building will be net-zero in operation, replacing several older, inefficient buildings, and provide the modern, flexible lab teaching spaces students expect. 

“We hope to submit a planning application for the building later in 2024, when site preparation work (which is not subject to planning permission) will commence.”

Find more information about the Central Teaching Laboratory here.

AGMs 2024: Craft Club Committee formed after AGM re-run

The Craft Club Society have recently revealed their committee for the 2024/25 academic year, after previously struggling to achieve sufficient interest from members. The...

Book Review: Babycakes ~ Armistead Maupin

A sailor walks into a bar, meets a reporter and says he’s defected. Don’t wait for a punchline, because this is no laughing matter....

Dance Society named Society of the Year

The University of Sheffield Dance Society has been crowned as Society of the 2023/24 academic year at the annual Activities Awards, which took place...

BAME Students Part Time Officer questioned over lack of work since taking over role

Criticism has been raised over Part Time BAME Students Officer Ahmad Waris’ perceived lack of work since his time in office.  Speaking to Forge Press...

Opinion: Should centre stage be a place for protest?

Theatres have long been places of public expression and discourse, and never has this been clearer than it is now. Lots of new plays...

Strange Horticulture Review: A plant puzzle game that channels your inner Sherlock

Welcome to Strange Horticulture, an eerie plant shop nestled somewhere in Undermere that you inherited from your recently deceased uncle. Your mission? Save the...

To what extent should your boss be dictating your style at work?

Work. Love or hate it; enjoy or despise it, having a job and earning money is a fundamental part of living which...