Students’ Union LGBT+ Officer stepped down from role as committee chair amid vote of no confidence fears

The University of Sheffield’s Students’ Union LGBT+ Officer, Jephthah Ekogiawe, stepped away from his role as the committee chair, sources reveal. 

It came after questions were raised by several members of the committee over “various issues surrounding inclusion” alongside not “adequately” fulfilling his role as chair of the committee, Forge was told by the acting chair committee, Rowan Garwood.

Forge was also told the issues around inclusion had “built up over a number of months”. 

Jephthah stepped down from his role in the committee on December 6. 

This came after a vote of no confidence (VONC) against Jepth being committee chair was formally raised on the evening of December 5. 

Upon Jepth’s departure Rowan Garwood, then Vice Chair of the LGBTQ+ , democratically stepped into the role of president.

This decision was made and agreed on by all members of the committee.

Rowan Garwood, now Acting Chair of the LGBTQ+ Committee, said: ”The separation of PTO and the committee was best for both parties and following the separation, I will do my best to lead the committee in a way that is representative of the values the committee and I hold.”

Following Jepth’s departure, Forge was told the committee was informed and collectively made a decision to carry out the VONCs at their next meeting on December 13. 

The issue was raised in recognising that the committee no longer has faith in Jeph as PTO. 

Forge was told 18 out of the 19 members of the committee voted for him to be removed from his position as committee chair after he stepped away. One member abstained. 

Forge was told 15 out of 19 members of the committee voted for him to be removed from his position as LGBT+ Part-Time Officer. Four members abstained. 

The vote was indicative and could not lead to the removal of Jephthah from his position as LGBT+ Officer. 

Jephthah has since been elected as International Officer for the 2024/25 academic year. 

AGMs 2024: Craft Club Committee formed after AGM re-run

The Craft Club Society have recently revealed their committee for the 2024/25 academic year, after previously struggling to achieve sufficient interest from members. The...

Book Review: Babycakes ~ Armistead Maupin

A sailor walks into a bar, meets a reporter and says he’s defected. Don’t wait for a punchline, because this is no laughing matter....

Dance Society named Society of the Year

The University of Sheffield Dance Society has been crowned as Society of the 2023/24 academic year at the annual Activities Awards, which took place...

BAME Students Part Time Officer questioned over lack of work since taking over role

Criticism has been raised over Part Time BAME Students Officer Ahmad Waris’ perceived lack of work since his time in office.  Speaking to Forge Press...

Opinion: Should centre stage be a place for protest?

Theatres have long been places of public expression and discourse, and never has this been clearer than it is now. Lots of new plays...

Strange Horticulture Review: A plant puzzle game that channels your inner Sherlock

Welcome to Strange Horticulture, an eerie plant shop nestled somewhere in Undermere that you inherited from your recently deceased uncle. Your mission? Save the...

To what extent should your boss be dictating your style at work?

Work. Love or hate it; enjoy or despise it, having a job and earning money is a fundamental part of living which...