The short, dark days are over and as the summer sun creeps into Sheffield, I thought it was about time we talked about all the ways to make the most of it and our beautiful city. The first and most obvious is, of course, the peaks on our doorstep. What better way to get outside and make the most of the sun than hiking through the glorious Sheffield landscape with some friends? There are loads of accessible bus routes and plenty of walks to do throughout the district so you’ll never get bored. If you’re looking to make a full day out of it, why not grab a picnic and enjoy a Tesco meal deal in one of the most scenic spots in the country? 

If the peaks are too far or physically demanding for you, there are a whole host of beautiful parks and nature reserves throughout sheffield which makes for a great day out in the sun. One of my favourites is observing the ducks in Weston Park which makes for a great pitstop while hiking home from the Diamond. There are so many great green spaces around waiting for you to enjoy a good book (or the notes from your lecture).

Sheffield is such an active city with a rich history so why not visit the Peace Gardens and learn a little more about it. With an iced latte in hand and a great playlist, or some company, these gardens provide the perfect backdrop to enjoy the recent glorious weather. Alternatively, the Botanical gardens offer a great view, plus the security of a sheltered area in case the ever-unpredictable British weather rears its uglier end.

Longer days mean warmer evenings and a great way to soak these up is the return of the open air cinema. Different events will be popping up all over the city this summer, all with affordable entry and a great selection of films. So grab your picnic blanket, decant your wine into a water bottle, and enjoy the summer sun!

Sheffield Wednesday shock league-leaders West Brom in five-goal thriller

Goals from Marvin Johnson, Josh Windass and Anthony Musaba clinched Sheffield Wednesday ’s first league win since the opening day against the league leaders West Bromwich Albion.

🔴 Sheffield Wednesday vs West Brom: LIVE updates from the EFL Championship

Follow along with live updates from Hillsborough as Sheffield Wednesday host West Bromwich Albion in the EFL Championship.

University of Sheffield researchers make ground-breaking prostate cancer advancement

Researchers from the University of Sheffield are the first to discover a new form of immunotherapy for prostate cancer.

In Memoriam: Dame Maggie Smith

As the world mourns the passing of the legendary actress, we look back at her illustrious stage career

Sheffield Theatres Review: Dizzy

"Reading the Quran to the tune of Bob the Builder" & other comedic quips mark the latest production from Sheffield Theatres teams!

Sheffield Theatres Review: A Doll’s House

Ibsen's classic is a pleasant surprise, with Siena Kelly a standout performance in a standout show

Science and tech societies to dive into this academic year

With another fresher’s week comes plenty of opportunity to dive into societies and try something new. There are a wide variety of societies for...