Simone Chuah" />

Keeping Connected Post-Graduation

With the end of this university year approaching in a few months, some of us are getting ready to leave university and go into the real world. Some may stay in Sheffield, some may go back home, and others may move away to different cities for job opportunities. With people around us going in different directions, we all have one question in common: What happens to the friendships I’ve made at university? 

Here are some ways you can keep in touch with friends you’ve made at university, whether it be friends made in the classroom, societies, or flatmates you see everyday. 

1. Visit each others’ hometowns 

Travelling to see your friends in their different home cities can be one of the best ways to keep in touch. Not only will it give you the opportunity to see and spend quality time with them, it gives you a chance to visit cities or towns you may not have had the chance to visit before. There are cheaper ways to travel to cities to see your friends, such as making sure you have a railcard and booking your train tickets in advance so prices are cheaper. 

1. Going on holiday

This is a particularly good way for international friends to stay in touch. With flying to a different country (especially a different continent) possibly creating a large hole in your wallet, a good solution is for you to meet your friend(s) in the middle. You can pick one destination together that is relatively central for all of you and go on a holiday together. You can visit new places, experience new cultures and make unforgettable memories. 

1. Calling instead of texting

Whether it be a facetime or just a normal voice call, talking on the phone to each other is a much better way to stay connected than simply texting. With everyone leading busy lives, it does not have to be every day or even every week. Just book in time with your friends to video chat once in a while. Being able to have monthly catch-ups helps you stay up to date with what is going on in each other’s lives. 

1. Celebrating the big moments

A way to show your friends you still care about them despite the distance standing in the way is making sure you show up for each other, especially during the big moments in each other’s lives. For example, celebrating the birthday milestones together, coming together for the festive seasons, and eventually maybe being at each other’s weddings. 

1. Friends come and go

Even with many things you could do to keep friendships you made at university alive, it is normal for friends to come and go. There is a common saying, “Friends for a reason, a season or a lifetime”. Sometimes friends you make at university do not become life-long friends and this is okay. Remember to be open minded and understanding; some people are better at keeping in touch with others. Whatever course your friendships made at university takes, treasure the memories you’ve made with each other and be thankful to have been able to cross paths with those special people. 

“Critical” society storage to be demolished, no alternative confirmed

The main storage location for the Sheffield University Performing Arts Society (SUPAS), Sheffield University Theatre Company (SUTCo) and Conservation Society is set to be...

Fire Service called to Drama Studio as smoke reported

Both South Yorkshire Fire and Rescue and South Yorkshire Police have been called to the University of Sheffield Drama Studio on Shearwood Road this...

Pro-Palestine protesters camp outside SU following demonstrations in US universities

Dozens of students and staff members have erected encampment outside the Students’ Union building since May 1 to show solidarity with Palestinians, in the...

Book Review: Wicked – The Life and Times of the Wicked Witch of the West ~ Gregory Maguire

With the splash of the water bucket, the Wicked Witch of the West melted in a shrieking mess in front of Dorothy, aghast at...

Sounds of unity: collaborative open mic night brings together musicians and students

On the 13th March, the Music Department Society and Octagon Records, two University of Sheffield societies, brought together their audiences for a big open...

Touring Production Review: The 39 Steps

When you go to the theatre you never expect what you see to be totally realistic, yet, usually, the characters on stage don’t seem...

University baseball club to hold charity match against Goodwin staff

University of Sheffield’s baseball club will face off against staff from Sport & Physical Activity in their first ever charity match.  The team, affectionately known...