Sport on Campus column: a welcome from the Sports Officer

Firstly, I’d like to extend a huge welcome to the University of Sheffield. 
Starting university is an exciting, nerve wracking and totally unique experience. Starting university in 2020 even more so. As you begin to settle in, meet new people and start your courses, you might be thinking about how else to spend your time at University. That’s where I come in, to talk to you about sport at Sheffield. 
Getting involved with sport through my time at University was easily the best decision I ever made. It expands your social life, supports your studies, improves your mental health and wellbeing and widens your view on the world. Whether you become part of the ‘Black & Gold’ community through club sport or purchase a Sport Sheffield gym membership, there is a way for every student to reap the benefits of sport here at Sheffield.
This year, access to sport is more important than ever. We’ve been working hard over the summer to implement the necessary safety measures for our students. The gym at Sport Sheffield has made significant changes to become covid-safe, including one way systems, booking requirements and providing cleaning equipment. 
All our sports clubs have an appointed Covid Officer, who are liaising with National Governing Bodies to ensure all club activity meets risk assessment criteria. 
Four years ago, I was in a very similar position to you all. Everything was very new and pretty overwhelming. Getting involved with sport at Sheffield changed everything. 
I hope to see you out on our respective ‘fields’ as soon as safely possible! 
Yours in sport, 
Matt Graves (He/Him) 
SU Sports Officer

University announces Weston Park May Fayre collaboration

The University of Sheffield is among a number of groups, including Sheffield City Council and Heart Radio, coming together to facilitate the annual Weston...

AGMs 2024: Craft Club Committee formed after AGM re-run

The Craft Club Society have recently revealed their committee for the 2024/25 academic year, after previously struggling to achieve sufficient interest from members. The...

Book Review: Babycakes ~ Armistead Maupin

A sailor walks into a bar, meets a reporter and says he’s defected. Don’t wait for a punchline, because this is no laughing matter....

Dance Society named Society of the Year

The University of Sheffield Dance Society has been crowned as Society of the 2023/24 academic year at the annual Activities Awards, which took place...

BAME Students Part Time Officer questioned over lack of work since taking over role

Criticism has been raised over Part Time BAME Students Officer Ahmad Waris’ perceived lack of work since his time in office.  Speaking to Forge Press...

Opinion: Should centre stage be a place for protest?

Theatres have long been places of public expression and discourse, and never has this been clearer than it is now. Lots of new plays...