Huge jumps in committed athletes at Uni of Sheffield clubs as look for more social opportunities

Many sports clubs at the University of Sheffield are seeing an increase in interest this first semester, thanks to the coronavirus pandemic.
With limited face-to-face teaching and the inability to hold massive in-person socials, sports clubs are having a huge positive impact on student’s wellbeing, as trials and training sessions allow an opportunity to be active and socialise.
Cara Clitheroe, Captain of UoS Women’s Hockey, said: “We are offering something priceless. A covid-safe opportunity to play sport is so invaluable to so many people.”
Women’s Hockey has seen a massive jump in the club’s retention rate (number of people who commit to the club compared to the amount of interest it generates at sports fairs). The six competitive teams that the Women’s hockey team run are already filled to capacity. Due to covid regulations, a lot of interested hockey players are having to be put on a waiting list.
There has been a jump in engagement with the Rowing club. Captain Shaun Colley told Forge Press that the club has already had 35 more people join the club than they had last year. This came as a pleasant surprise for the club as Mr Colley said: “We were quite worried about our numbers as we couldn’t just grab people in the Octagon.”
The Rowing club’s trials are usually in a nice, cosy room in Goodwin Sports Centre, but due to new rules, the club had to hold them outdoors on the football fields. Mr Colley said the club was really pleased with the turnout to the trials and that the numbers for both their senior men’s and women’s squads have gone up.
Plans for the rest of the year are quite uncertain for the club, but the club committee knows exactly what they want members to get out of their time with them. Mr Colley said: “The main thing that we want people to take away is to enjoy rowing and to enjoy exercise.”
Not all clubs have had a positive trend with their recruitment numbers this year though.
The UoS Men’s Rugby League club have fallen short of last year’s numbers. Club media secretary Luke Kerin said: “[Covid-19] would have had a big effect because we are not a big sports club and so with the virtual sports fairs it was quite difficult.”
Furthermore, trial sessions with the club have been drastically changed. Limited contact is allowed in the sessions in order to keep players safe.
However, Mr Kerin was positive with the engagement of the limited freshers they did attract. He said: “ For them, there’s not a lot they can do to go out and meet new people. So they engaged really well.”

University announces Weston Park May Fayre collaboration

The University of Sheffield is among a number of groups, including Sheffield City Council and Heart Radio, coming together to facilitate the annual Weston...

AGMs 2024: Craft Club Committee formed after AGM re-run

The Craft Club Society have recently revealed their committee for the 2024/25 academic year, after previously struggling to achieve sufficient interest from members. The...

Book Review: Babycakes ~ Armistead Maupin

A sailor walks into a bar, meets a reporter and says he’s defected. Don’t wait for a punchline, because this is no laughing matter....

Dance Society named Society of the Year

The University of Sheffield Dance Society has been crowned as Society of the 2023/24 academic year at the annual Activities Awards, which took place...

BAME Students Part Time Officer questioned over lack of work since taking over role

Criticism has been raised over Part Time BAME Students Officer Ahmad Waris’ perceived lack of work since his time in office.  Speaking to Forge Press...

Opinion: Should centre stage be a place for protest?

Theatres have long been places of public expression and discourse, and never has this been clearer than it is now. Lots of new plays...