Ellie Fish" />

Has Morgan Gibbs-White been the signing fans expected?

Just as the transfer window closed in September, Sheffield United signed up Morgan Gibbs-White on loan from Wolves. There was hope this would be the thing the Blades needed to move forward, and as it turns out it has been exactly that.

Gibbs-White joined a relegation battle with Sheffield United, who has failed to win a game since the start of the season. The Blades were missing something, upfront they just couldn’t seem to score, and it was costing them a lot. So, what could the promising 21-year-old do?

Since the attacking midfielder joined the side, the team have won four of their previous matches. The first win came in a thrilling performance for Gibbs-White and the team as they hammered Peterborough 6-2. Gibbs-White was crucial in this game as he paired with Iliman Ndiaye to create play and goals. Gibbs-White also took his first goal on debut.

Gibbs-White has shown his skills throughout all seven appearances, taking three goals and two assists which have been crucial for the blades. He has showcased just the talent that the team and fans expected him to have, as he has created a lot of chances and enabled the better form from the team.

From the perspective of Sheffield United, it has been crazy to see how one player can have so much influence and impact on the team. His change into the side has seemingly made the team a lot better and stronger.

The loss of the likes of Jack O’Connell and Dean Henderson was quoted as the downfall of the team in the 2020/21 Premier League season, and so, fans will be hoping for a different story when Gibbs-White is recalled to Wolves in January. 

Considering Gibbs-White’s form, it wouldn’t be so surprising to see Wolves call him back. But it is hoped he can stay and carry this momentum with the Blades.

Since Gibbs-White joined the side, there has been a noticeable change in the team’s fortunes. Despite a loss against Bournemouth, the Blades still fought hard and looked as if they could win. It just showed the difference between the start of the season and now.

Gibbs-White has been the crucial impact that Sheffield United needed to be able to challenge for the play-offs and promotion. If he continues the impact which he is having on the team, the Blades could probably find themselves in the promotion battle rather than a relegation one.

Fire Service called to Drama Studio as smoke reported

Both South Yorkshire Fire and Rescue and South Yorkshire Police have been called to the University of Sheffield Drama Studio on Shearwood Road this...

Pro-Palestine protesters camp outside SU following demonstrations in US universities

Dozens of students and staff members have erected encampment outside the Students’ Union building since May 1 to show solidarity with Palestinians, in the...

Book Review: Wicked – The Life and Times of the Wicked Witch of the West ~ Gregory Maguire

With the splash of the water bucket, the Wicked Witch of the West melted in a shrieking mess in front of Dorothy, aghast at...

Sounds of unity: collaborative open mic night brings together musicians and students

On the 13th March, the Music Department Society and Octagon Records, two University of Sheffield societies, brought together their audiences for a big open...

Touring Production Review: The 39 Steps

When you go to the theatre you never expect what you see to be totally realistic, yet, usually, the characters on stage don’t seem...

University baseball club to hold charity match against Goodwin staff

University of Sheffield’s baseball club will face off against staff from Sport & Physical Activity in their first ever charity match.  The team, affectionately known...

Interview: Cluedo 2’s Ellie Leach and Jason Durr with director Mark Bell

For Strictly Come Dancing champion and former Coronation Street actress Ellie Leach and ex Heartbeat and Casualty actor Jason Durr, the chance to play...