New owners of Crookes pub are bringing back traditional bitter booze to the community

A family took over a pub in Crookes and changed the menu set by the previous owner that only serves light lager and ale.

The Masons Crookes on Carsons Road was relaunched on 25 February with the promise to serve craft beers locally brewed in Sheffield and to organise community events.

The pub only provided commercial beers, including Coors Light, Birra Moretti and Carling on the first few days as the new pub owners were still waiting for new beer pumps to be installed and looking to expand their drink selection.

Landlord Paul Bowler, 53, who also owns Red Deer in the city centre, said: “We’re trying to give back to the community. We don’t want just to come in and you spend your money.

“We just want you to come in here and enjoy yourselves, have some fun by really safe atmosphere, safe place to be.”

The landlord said a fun day will be held at the pub’s back garden to attract young families soon, in which parents can enjoy drinks while their children play on a bouncy castle and try out face painting.

Mr Bowler also said he is putting back old-fashioned Stones Bitter and cask ales on the taps, while British traditional, home-cooked pub food will be featured on the menu.

Drinks served at the Masons Crookes would be sold at a lower price than a majority of pubs in the area despite inflation and rising bills as the landlord planned to “absorb it for the first six months on purpose to get the customers back in”.

He also teased that customers can get three samples of beer for the price of one pint, which is already offered at Red Deer.

His wife Joanne Bowler, 41, said: “Come and see the friendly faces. We are trying to give the pub a new lease of life.”

The couples said they bought the place in March two years ago but were unable to set up and run the place at that time because of the two lockdowns during the coronavirus pandemic.

Quiz nights, karaoke and bingo will be offered at the pub, as well as live sports events broadcasted by Sky Sports and BT.

The Masons Crookes is open between 2pm and 11pm on Mondays to Thursdays, between noon and midnight on Saturdays and from noon to 11.30pm on Sundays.

SUTCo reveals 2 original scripts in semester 1 programme

The Sheffield University Theatre Company (SUTCo) have revealed their semester 1 programme for the 2024/25 academic year. The group, which aim to put on...