Katya Witney" />

Sheffield United Women stunned by Sunderland Ladies in 4-1 loss

Sheffield United Women were stunned by Sunderland Ladies at the Technique Stadium on Sunday as they were beaten 4-1 by the tenth placed side.

The Blades made two changes from their victory over London City Lionesses last weekend with Nina Wilson and Sophie Walton coming in for Fran Kitching and Georgia Robert.

Sunderland threatened early as Maria Farrugia almost gave the travelling side the advantage, but her shot hit the post after going past Wilson’s diving left hand. 

The striker soon had a second chance and Wilson was forced to pull off a diving save to keep out a more powerful effort and keep scores level 20 minutes into the first half.

United still threatened however and minutes later captain Sophie Bradley-Auckland made a good connection with Lucy Watson’s corner and fired the ball into the back of the net giving her side the lead in the 22nd minute.

It wasn’t long before the visitors struck back and two minutes later Emily Scarr evaded the Blades’ defences on a superb run through the centre of the box to pull the scores back to level.

During a frenetic period of play from both sides an unfortunate mix-up by United’s defence allowed the visitors to take the lead as half-time approached. Scarr claimed her second as she slotted the ball past Wilson and into the bottom of the net.

Frustration started to show for United and moments after Sunderland took the lead Ellie Wilson received a yellow card for a late tackle on goal scorer Scarr.

The Blades made changes for the second half. Maddy Cusack joined the back three and Matilda Taylor who had replaced the injured Bradley-Auckland moments before half-time slotted into the midfield.

It was Sunderland, however, who continued to impress and managed to extend their lead 10 minutes into the second half. Farrugia confounded an advancing Wilson and looped the ball over her head and into the net.

United had several chances throughout the second half to pull the score line back but could not find a shot on target, Sweetman-Kirk had a good chance in the 65th minute but failed to beat the keeper in what was a fairly straightforward chance.

Sunderland were able to add a fourth to their tally late into normal time. Emma Kelly took advantage of Wilson’s initial save to put the game to bed in the 87th minute.

It was a disappointing performance from United who failed to capitalise on their chances. They will need to put the loss behind them before they face Bristol City next Saturday.

SUPAS Review: Made in Dagenham

We've all become accustomed to industrial action in all sectors of our society, many striking for better pay. But what happens when that pay...

VARSITY 2024: University of Sheffield take triumphant victory for 10th year running

Several weeks of sporting excellence culminated in a spectacular Varsity win for the University of Sheffield. This marks a decade of victories for the black...

VARSITY 2024: Narrow win for Hallam basketball men’s 1s in finale

Hallam basketball men’s 1s team won a thriller against the University of Sheffield on Wednesday 24 April at the Canon Medical Arena, taking victory...

VARSITY 2024: Uni of take clean sweep in netball fixtures

The University of Sheffield’s first team claimed a wonderful victory with a 44-36 win over Sheffield Hallam on Wednesday 24 April at Canon Medical...

VARSITY 2024: Sheffield women’s basketball crush Hallam by double digits

A brilliant comeback saw the University of Sheffield emphatically defeat Sheffield Hallam University on the final day of Varsity. Despite Hallam taking an early lead,...

Grammy-Nominees announced for Migration Matters Festival

The line-up for this year’s Migration Matters Festival has been unveiled, with a range of artists, professionals, youth groups and others taking part to...

VARSITY 2024: Uni of find glory in futsal 2s fixture

A sizeable crowd gathered at the English Institute of Sport to watch the Steel City’s two university futsal teams lock horns on the day...