Ella Brooker" />

Learning to love yourself after a breakup

Whether it’s the end of a long-term relationship, or a short term one, going through a breakup undeniably sucks! It is part of life- something most people will have to go through at least once, if not multiple times, but that doesn’t take away from how difficult it can be. I have compiled my top 3 tips to help you to get over the initial stages of heartbreak so that you can come out of it as an even better version of yourself. 

1. Keep Busy 

Whilst it is important to let yourself face the emotions; it is also extremely wise to keep yourself occupied in the initial stages of a breakup. Making lots of fun plans with friends and family, or even throwing yourself into your university work are great ways to keep your mind busy from over thinking and getting down. It will make you feel fulfilled and loved by those around you and show you that you do not need a relationship to feel whole. 

2. Take up a new hobby 

Post break-up is a great time to start investing in yourself. Use it as motivation to be the best version of yourself by taking up a new and accomplishing activity which makes you feel good about yourself. Physical hobbies such as going to the gym or doing a sport are great for getting any negative energy out and focusing on getting stronger physically can help you feel stronger mentally. However, simply getting outdoors for a nice walk, painting or even journaling can be effective ways to come to terms with your emotions and spend time with yourself. New hobbies also double up as fantastic distractions from feeling low. 

3. Get back out there!

As hard as it may seem to begin with, getting yourself back out there can help many people cope with heartbreak. It may take you weeks or even many months to feel ready to do this, but when you do, deciding to ease yourself back into dating could really bring back any confidence you may have lost. Even if nothing comes from it, getting back on scene could be fun if nothing else. Try to remember that loving yourself is the most important thing and learning to flourish whilst solo is essential before you begin to take these steps. Give yourself time, and trust that you will get there. 

It is important to say that every person will cope with heartbreak differently and you should honour whatever you feel is right at the time. Allowing yourself to binge watch any rom-coms and cry with a tub of Ben and Jerry’s is absolutely okay and all part of the process. Try to remember that almost everyone has to deal with heartbreak at some point, and those before you have all managed to come out stronger and better, so you can too. 

SUPAS Review: Made in Dagenham

We've all become accustomed to industrial action in all sectors of our society, many striking for better pay. But what happens when that pay...

VARSITY 2024: University of Sheffield take triumphant victory for 10th year running

Several weeks of sporting excellence culminated in a spectacular Varsity win for the University of Sheffield. This marks a decade of victories for the black...

VARSITY 2024: Narrow win for Hallam basketball men’s 1s in finale

Hallam basketball men’s 1s team won a thriller against the University of Sheffield on Wednesday 24 April at the Canon Medical Arena, taking victory...

VARSITY 2024: Uni of take clean sweep in netball fixtures

The University of Sheffield’s first team claimed a wonderful victory with a 44-36 win over Sheffield Hallam on Wednesday 24 April at Canon Medical...

VARSITY 2024: Sheffield women’s basketball crush Hallam by double digits

A brilliant comeback saw the University of Sheffield emphatically defeat Sheffield Hallam University on the final day of Varsity. Despite Hallam taking an early lead,...

Grammy-Nominees announced for Migration Matters Festival

The line-up for this year’s Migration Matters Festival has been unveiled, with a range of artists, professionals, youth groups and others taking part to...

VARSITY 2024: Uni of find glory in futsal 2s fixture

A sizeable crowd gathered at the English Institute of Sport to watch the Steel City’s two university futsal teams lock horns on the day...