International football returns to Sheffield with England’s U21s

After securing victory over Italy on Thursday, England under 21s played host to Germany under 21s in an international friendly at Sheffield United’s Bramall Lane. The South Yorkshire crowd witnessed an impressive display from the Young Lions, who turned out 3-1 winners.

The game got off to a slow start with no major chances in the opening exchanges and equal possession. Germany grew into the game around the half-an-hour mark and took the lead through a comfortable header from Nmecha. England responded immediately, hitting the crossbar in the 37th minute and equalising moments later. Striker Folarin Balugon found the back of the net with a low-driven strike following a great run from Aston Villa’s Jacob Ramsey.

England’s fortunes continued to improve throughout the second half, and the Young Lions took the lead just minutes after half-time. Once again, Balogun was involved as he carried the ball to the edge of the 18-yard box. His shot fell into the path of Anthony Gordon, who set up Connor Gallagher with a tap-in. Gallagher continued to grow in confidence following his first goal, and he attempted another shot on target with the outside of his foot, but German goalkeeper Atubolu denied his chance.

The atmosphere inside Bramall Lane peaked when Sheffield United players James McAtee and Rhian Brewster entered the field of play in the 70th minute. The pair received a huge reception from the many Blades’ fans among the 10,735 at the ground. To their credit, Germany continued to search for an equaliser towards the end of the match and the game opened up massively. England capitalised on the Germans’ desperation late on, and added a third on the counterattack through number 23, Cole Palmer. He found himself in on a goal after a failed German free kick and slotted home in front of the Bramall Lane End.

The game ended on a downer after a last-minute sending-off for Germany’s Ansgar Knauff, who got his second yellow card for a headbutt on Tommy Doyle. Overall, it was a great spectacle, and the people of Sheffield are looking forward to seeing international football return to the city in the future.

AGMs 2024: Craft Club Committee formed after AGM re-run

The Craft Club Society have recently revealed their committee for the 2024/25 academic year, after previously struggling to achieve sufficient interest from members. The...

Book Review: Babycakes ~ Armistead Maupin

A sailor walks into a bar, meets a reporter and says he’s defected. Don’t wait for a punchline, because this is no laughing matter....

Dance Society named Society of the Year

The University of Sheffield Dance Society has been crowned as Society of the 2023/24 academic year at the annual Activities Awards, which took place...

BAME Students Part Time Officer questioned over lack of work since taking over role

Criticism has been raised over Part Time BAME Students Officer Ahmad Waris’ perceived lack of work since his time in office.  Speaking to Forge Press...

Opinion: Should centre stage be a place for protest?

Theatres have long been places of public expression and discourse, and never has this been clearer than it is now. Lots of new plays...

Strange Horticulture Review: A plant puzzle game that channels your inner Sherlock

Welcome to Strange Horticulture, an eerie plant shop nestled somewhere in Undermere that you inherited from your recently deceased uncle. Your mission? Save the...

To what extent should your boss be dictating your style at work?

Work. Love or hate it; enjoy or despise it, having a job and earning money is a fundamental part of living which...