Opinion: Are sports clubs too cliquey?

Are sports clubs at amateur level too cliquey? Inevitably yes, but forget them. There is a club out there for you.

Cliques in sport are inevitable, and actually important to high-performing teams. When performance is paramount, those with lower abilities can be forgotten. 

Many will fall at the first hurdle, the dreaded trial. Some will falter even before the trial stage, simply based on first impressions. I myself have been condemned to join a suspiciously long waiting list at the sports fair. 

Some will make it into teams and find themselves given minimal opportunities, with the ability to express themselves through their sport limited and their confidence shaken.

The correlation between performance and social standing for many ambitious clubs is essential. The reality is that teams adopting an elitist approach will be left with only the most talented players and will get results. But the answer for me, and I think for most people who have faced adversity when pursuing sports, is to just keep looking. Unlike most stages of life, the choice of sports clubs at university is astronomical – you will find your place.

For me, sport is simply a tool for a free boost of endorphins; a necessary yang to the yin of pubs, pints, and pies; and a great way to meet people. Enjoyment, therefore, is crucial.

I searched for teams that were – no offence guys – not elite. The holy grail of social sports is subject-based teams; I found myself playing football for English Literature and rugby for History. Here I encountered two brilliant team captains that created an incredibly supportive atmosphere. The teams were run with an ethos of inclusion – anyone could join. Everyone got time in the matches, and training was friendly rather than intense. As a result, teams included a wide range of people and at no point did I feel outside of the social circle, isolated or alone.

The rare occasions of any offensive speech were dealt with swiftly and fairly to ensure no one was uncomfortable. I know that these clubs were important support systems for some players going through difficult times. I was struggling for friends before these clubs – now they include the best friends I have at university.

Those within elitist cliques at university sports clubs are most likely very happy. They can dictate their social circle, and win more games. But ask yourself – are these the people you want to socialise with? And are they people you want to play alongside? Forget them.

I know I would much rather be laughing with my mates as I concede my fifth goal of the match rather than furious that I hadn’t scored six. I would much rather be helping others to learn a new sport, watching them improve, and socially connecting as a result. Personally, I’d much rather meet a wide range of people from all kinds of interesting backgrounds than robotic athletes only driven by scorelines.

It is for that reason I say, let the cliques stay cliquey, because I definitely don’t mind them not being on my team. Or maybe I’m just bitter that I’m rubbish in goal.

As a side note, I realise that I come from a place of privilege as an able-bodied working male interested in mainstream sports. However, I am absolutely certain that there is a fulfilling social sporting venture for everyone in Sheffield. 

The charity Foodhall runs a weekly football session focused on inclusivity, at around £2 a session. Many university sports teams will run free ‘taster sessions’ whilst buses run to the Peak District for swimming, climbing, hiking and cycling. 

I’ve often had legendary kickabouts and frisbee sessions with friendly strangers at the Ponderosa and Endcliffe park and there’s probably a sale of some description on at Sports Sheffield, as they’ve definitely emailed me enough times about it.

Book Review: Babycakes ~ Armistead Maupin

A sailor walks into a bar, meets a reporter and says he’s defected. Don’t wait for a punchline, because this is no laughing matter....

Dance Society named Society of the Year

The University of Sheffield Dance Society has been crowned as Society of the 2023/24 academic year at the annual Activities Awards, which took place...

BAME Students Part Time Officer questioned over lack of work since taking over role

Criticism has been raised over Part Time BAME Students Officer Ahmad Waris’ perceived lack of work since his time in office.  Speaking to Forge Press...

Opinion: Should centre stage be a place for protest?

Theatres have long been places of public expression and discourse, and never has this been clearer than it is now. Lots of new plays...

Strange Horticulture Review: A plant puzzle game that channels your inner Sherlock

Welcome to Strange Horticulture, an eerie plant shop nestled somewhere in Undermere that you inherited from your recently deceased uncle. Your mission? Save the...

To what extent should your boss be dictating your style at work?

Work. Love or hate it; enjoy or despise it, having a job and earning money is a fundamental part of living which...

How student loans and the economic crisis have pushed students to pick up part-time jobs

Rising living costs and personal financial difficulties have been plaguing people across the UK in recent months. Those who were already struggling have been...