City council urged to make Park Hill junction safer with new pedestrian crossing

The Green Party launched a petition pushing Sheffield City Council to add pedestrian signals at the junction of Talbot Road and Duke Street to improve road safety.

The proposal has received over 200 signatures online within a month.

Campaigner Graham Wroe said residents and cyclists would feel safer if his plan gets approval, especially after the introduction of the Clean Air Zone which will see more drivers use the road to avoid charges.

He said: “It’s very unusual to have traffic lights but no pedestrian crossings.

“There is a clear route signalled in The Stars not long ago. People come off the Parkway one junction earlier, and they come down the Cricket Inn Road and Bernard Street and then carry on through to the south of the city.

“It’s a very obvious detour for people avoiding the charges. It’s going to be even more difficult to cross that junction.”

The local election candidate admitted having the pedestrian crossing will increase waiting time for motorists, particularly during commute hours when cars can form a long queue, but insisted the addition is in ‘drivers’ best interest’.

Mick Webber, 73, of Shrewsbury Road, said he has witnessed several close calls in recent years.

He said: “Drivers shoot down Talbot Road without giving people crossing. I’ve nearly been knocked down a couple times. The driver said he doesn’t look if people are trying to cross the road to get to the bus stops.”

Local residents were seen dashing across the road as fast as they could to avoid colliding with oncoming traffic and hop on the route 120 bus when traffic got busy. Cyclists trying to exit Talbot Street had to take extra care to maintain distance with vehicles on the main road.

Although there is already a pedestrian signal near the local library, Abigail Gray, a lieutenant at the Salvation Army who runs a charity shop next to the junction, believes the local community overwhelmingly supports the addition of pedestrian signals.

The 31-year-old church leader said: “I think because of the doctor’s surgery near the junction, it would be good to have one closer as well.

“It would make sense to have one slightly down as well so that people don’t have to go all the way to the library and all the way back down again.

“It’s a long walk,” she added. “We have accessible facilities here but people with wheelchairs can’t cross easily because they are slower than cars.

“Overall, I think something needs to be done.”

The petition will be delivered to the Transport, Regeneration and Climate Policy Committee. It can be viewed at: https://you.38degrees.org.uk/petitions/make-talbot-street-bernard-street-duke-st-crossing-safe

The short, dark days are over and as the summer sun creeps into Sheffield, I thought it was about time we talked about all...