Sunderland Ladies score equaliser to deny Sheffield United Women the three points

A successful strike in the 20th minute from Mia Enderby ensured that Sheffield United Women took home a point on Sunday. The game saw Sheffield United compete against North East side Sunderland who are in 9th place in the FA Women’s Championship, two points ahead of the Blades.

The first half saw a handful of chances from the Jonathan Morgan’s side, with both Sophie Barker and Bex Raynor trying their luck. United Women also held the majority of the passion in the opening minutes. Enderby created an opportunity for a second goal ten minutes after scoring her first but was denied at the near post.

Sunderland looked to turn the game around after the break, replacing Jessica Brown replacing Liz Ejupi. The change seemed ideal as Ejupi played the ball to Emily Scarr, but the young forward missed her opportunity with the ball sent across goal.

Later, the North East side’s goalkeeper, Claudia Moan, denied two consecutive chances, one from Rayner and another by Enderby, maintaining the 0-1 scoreline. Enderby seemed to be having a great game with yet another chance in a one vs one with Moan before Sunderland scored their goal.

The equaliser came from Abbey Joice, who successfully shot the ball past Stenson in the 69th minute bringing the scoreline to 1-1- despite objections for being offside.

The final minutes were tense as both sides fought for an extra two points. Sheffield United had the better chances of the second half, with a close header from Sweetman-Kirk denied in stoppage time. Sunderland’s Naomi Hartley made a similar attempt to score a header, but the ball went just wide of the near post for the final touch of the match.

Sheffield United now face a relegation battle as they find themselves at 10th on the league table. Their next match will see them play 8th place, Lewes at Bramall Lane.

Blades: Stenson, Newsham, Barker, Hartley, Riglar, Sweetman-Kirk, Cusack, Rayner, Paul, Enderby, Haywood (Walters 57 (Muir 81)).

Unused: Davies, Lord-Mears, Wilcock, Francis-Jones, Brown, Clarke, Graham.

Sunderland: Moan; Beer, Herron, Westrup, Morgan; Kelly, Danielle Brown, Joice, Jessica Brown (Ejupi 46’), Watson; Scarr.

Unused: Cowling, Borthwick, Ede, McInnes, McCatty, McPartlan, Thompson, Mallaburn.

AGMs 2024: Craft Club Committee formed after AGM re-run

The Craft Club Society have recently revealed their committee for the 2024/25 academic year, after previously struggling to achieve sufficient interest from members. The...

Book Review: Babycakes ~ Armistead Maupin

A sailor walks into a bar, meets a reporter and says he’s defected. Don’t wait for a punchline, because this is no laughing matter....

Dance Society named Society of the Year

The University of Sheffield Dance Society has been crowned as Society of the 2023/24 academic year at the annual Activities Awards, which took place...

BAME Students Part Time Officer questioned over lack of work since taking over role

Criticism has been raised over Part Time BAME Students Officer Ahmad Waris’ perceived lack of work since his time in office.  Speaking to Forge Press...

Opinion: Should centre stage be a place for protest?

Theatres have long been places of public expression and discourse, and never has this been clearer than it is now. Lots of new plays...

Strange Horticulture Review: A plant puzzle game that channels your inner Sherlock

Welcome to Strange Horticulture, an eerie plant shop nestled somewhere in Undermere that you inherited from your recently deceased uncle. Your mission? Save the...

To what extent should your boss be dictating your style at work?

Work. Love or hate it; enjoy or despise it, having a job and earning money is a fundamental part of living which...