VARSITY 2023: Clara Goggin seals victory for the University of Sheffield in women’s football 1s

The University of Sheffield women’s football 1s walked away with a Varsity win after a late goal from Clara Goggin at Hallam Sports Park. Both sides fought hard to turn the scoreline in their favour, but the black and gold side took home the point for their university.

Starting as it seemed to go on, the first half of the game was close. The first opportunity came from Uni of’s number 9, Eve Bennett, with a strike saved by a dive from Sheffield Hallam’s goalkeeper in the seventh minute. Hallam denied a couple more runs from the black and gold as the game started to look promising for the University of Sheffield. But the first goal came from the burgundy’s Caitlin O’Callaghan, the ball rolling past Uni of’s goalkeeper. Celebrations were dampened as the number 9 injured herself and was carried off the pitch after a short pause in the game. Five minutes later, the game started again, and it wasn’t long before Uni of matched Hallam’s goal with a strike from Evie Driscoll-King in the 19th minute. Both squads remained strong until the end of the first half, and the scoreline remained one all at halftime.

The lights came on for the second half as spectators zipped up their coats to keep warm in the chilly weather.

Uni of made their first substitution of the game 9 minutes into the half, swapping Mia Brown for Mollie Reany. The Black and Gold made a clear improvement in the final half, with numerous chances at a goal coming from Clara Goggin, who couldn’t seem to find her way past the goalkeeper. She seemed to be having a frustrating game creating many unsuccessful opportunities for her and her teammates. Fortunately, Goggin’s luck turned around, and with 10 minutes left in the game, she scored the winner taking the total scoreline to 2-1.

There could have easily been more goals with a chance from Naomi Cooper-James hitting the bar, narrowly missing out on creating a third goal for her team. Hallam grew increasingly anxious with time running out to bring themselves back into the game. But it wasn’t meant to be for the Burgundy side, and the score was 2-1 as the referee blew the final whistle.

University of Sheffield: Driscoll-King, Miles, Peters, Gibson, Davison, Reaney, Rajab, Brown, Ashman, Bennett, Cooper-James, Ellen, Ind, Goggin.

Sheffield Hallam University: Sharpe, Hinchliffe, Purcell, Moorhouse, Graham, Docherty, Frances-Creaser, O’Callaghan, Wilson, Millar, Cameron, Broadhurst, Nash.

AGMs 2024: Craft Club Committee formed after AGM re-run

The Craft Club Society have recently revealed their committee for the 2024/25 academic year, after previously struggling to achieve sufficient interest from members. The...

Book Review: Babycakes ~ Armistead Maupin

A sailor walks into a bar, meets a reporter and says he’s defected. Don’t wait for a punchline, because this is no laughing matter....

Dance Society named Society of the Year

The University of Sheffield Dance Society has been crowned as Society of the 2023/24 academic year at the annual Activities Awards, which took place...

BAME Students Part Time Officer questioned over lack of work since taking over role

Criticism has been raised over Part Time BAME Students Officer Ahmad Waris’ perceived lack of work since his time in office.  Speaking to Forge Press...

Opinion: Should centre stage be a place for protest?

Theatres have long been places of public expression and discourse, and never has this been clearer than it is now. Lots of new plays...

Strange Horticulture Review: A plant puzzle game that channels your inner Sherlock

Welcome to Strange Horticulture, an eerie plant shop nestled somewhere in Undermere that you inherited from your recently deceased uncle. Your mission? Save the...

To what extent should your boss be dictating your style at work?

Work. Love or hate it; enjoy or despise it, having a job and earning money is a fundamental part of living which...