VARSITY 2023: University of Sheffield sweep aside Hallam in Varsity cricket

The University of Sheffield Men’s Cricket side fought past Sheffield Hallam University First Team to claim successive victories over their local rivals. Sheffield University, captained by Dan Cooke, sought to build on previous club success on Varsity Sports Park Day, following the University’s second Team defeating Hallam seconds comfortably earlier in the day. 

The University of Sheffield batted first with Cooke leading from the front, albeit forced to retire, with a captain’s knock of 26 not out. 

Other notable scores included Matt Darvill, who retired not out on 25, as well as Byron Knowles, who top scored with an impressive 30 not out, helping Sheffield University to reach 125-1 from their ten overs. 

Sheffield Hallam University’s Alex Jones was the only bowler to take a wicket, finishing with figures of 1-24 from his two overs. 

In reply, Hallam University, captained by Jones, only managed 102-5 from their allocated ten overs.

Despite the scorecard, Hallam produced some strong performances, particularly from Jake Powell, who made an unbeaten 29 before being forced to retire, as well as Jordan Rollins, top scoring with a resilient 43 – before being caught by University of Sheffield fielder Hugo Bell in the final stages of the game. 

Star performers for the University of Sheffield included Hugo Bell, taking one for 34 from his allotted three overs, Hugh McIlvaney: one for 31 from three overs and Byron Knowles, with two for 22 from his three to ensure his side’s victory. 

The convincing victory for the University of Sheffield builds on more recent league and cup success. Their Men’s First Team have enjoyed a largely dominant season, winning seven out of seven indoor BUCS (British Universities and Colleges Sport) League matches. 

As well as this, Sheffield University have also achieved highly in their ‘Road to Lord’s’ campaign, in which they defeated Derbyshire side Chellaston CC, and most recently Grasshoppers CC, to book their place at Lord’s in April, against an unconfirmed Midlands opponent. 

Sheffield Hallam will look to take the positives from today’s defeat, having only lost by 23 runs. They can now look ahead to Varsity 2024, where today’s hosts will look to build on the errors which they have made over the past two years, in order to stop an increasingly dominant Sheffield University cricket team.

AGMs 2024: Craft Club Committee formed after AGM re-run

The Craft Club Society have recently revealed their committee for the 2024/25 academic year, after previously struggling to achieve sufficient interest from members. The...

Book Review: Babycakes ~ Armistead Maupin

A sailor walks into a bar, meets a reporter and says he’s defected. Don’t wait for a punchline, because this is no laughing matter....

Dance Society named Society of the Year

The University of Sheffield Dance Society has been crowned as Society of the 2023/24 academic year at the annual Activities Awards, which took place...

BAME Students Part Time Officer questioned over lack of work since taking over role

Criticism has been raised over Part Time BAME Students Officer Ahmad Waris’ perceived lack of work since his time in office.  Speaking to Forge Press...

Opinion: Should centre stage be a place for protest?

Theatres have long been places of public expression and discourse, and never has this been clearer than it is now. Lots of new plays...

Strange Horticulture Review: A plant puzzle game that channels your inner Sherlock

Welcome to Strange Horticulture, an eerie plant shop nestled somewhere in Undermere that you inherited from your recently deceased uncle. Your mission? Save the...

To what extent should your boss be dictating your style at work?

Work. Love or hate it; enjoy or despise it, having a job and earning money is a fundamental part of living which...