How a wildlife protection group restores riverbanks in South Yorkshire

The Rivership Stewardship Company, a Sheffield-based organisation set up to maintain and improve waterways in South Yorkshire, is training people out of job to look after rivers in the region every Wednesday.

The trainees were brought to Short Brook in Westfield and a section of River Dearne near Barnsley to do conservation work, including litter picking, biodiversity monitoring, tree planting and installing a gate.

Director Chris Lucas explained to Forge Press how they taught trainees to plant trees along riverbanks which were destroyed as too many people were walking on them, killing the vegetation in the process.

Luke Bale, who lives in Peak District and recently graduated from the training scheme, also urged people not to throw their rubbish on the ground so that animals would not inadvertently eat them and people can enjoy nice views in the neighbourhoods.

You can check their website at: https://www.the-rsc.co.uk/services/riverlution