Katy Roberts" />

Black History Month: Arthur Wharton

It would be easy to boil down Arthur Wharton’s achievements to his role as the first professional black footballer in the English Football League, but it would also be incredibly downplayed. 

Moving from Ghana to England at the age of 19 in 1882, Wharton went on to become one of history’s most well-rounded sportspeople, venturing into cricket, football, athletics and cycling. 

His talents could not be confined to a single sport. He was the first recorded person to sprint 100 yards in 10 seconds and played for a number of teams both in goal and on the wing across Yorkshire and Lancashire. 

Darlington, an amateur team, took Wharton on as their goalkeeper in the 1885-86 season, where he developed some curious customs. These included swinging from the crossbar, crouching in the corner of the goal, and preferring to punch the ball away rather than catch it. 

After being scouted by Preston North End, he helped them reach the semi-finals of the FA Cup in 1886-87. During their third round victory against Renton, Athletic News described his performance as “one of the best exhibitions of goalkeeping I have seen for a long time”. 

Wharton took a brief hiatus from football to focus on his running, but returned in 1889 with Rotherham Town. Throughout his career, he also played for Sheffield United (where he featured in the First Division), Stalybridge Rovers, Ashton North End, and Stockport County. 

Despite an extraordinary career, Wharton died in poverty at 65-years-old in 1930. Due to his dire financial situation, he was sadly buried in an unmarked pauper’s grave and practically forgotten about for over 60 years. 

In 1997, an anti-racism campaign by Football Unites, Racism Divides succeeded in installing a headstone to remember Wharton’s remarkable contributions to English sport. Since then, numerous campaigns have gained traction in erecting statues of the sportsman, including in the FIFA headquarters and St George’s Park National Football Centre. 

More recently, a blue plaque was unveiled where Rotherham Town played, 134 years to the day since Wharton first played for them.

Image Credit: Chronicle Live

Sounds of unity: collaborative open mic night brings together musicians and students

On the 13th March, the Music Department Society and Octagon Records, two University of Sheffield societies, brought together their audiences for a big open...

Touring Production Review: The 39 Steps

When you go to the theatre you never expect what you see to be totally realistic, yet, usually, the characters on stage don’t seem...

University baseball club to hold charity match against Goodwin staff

University of Sheffield’s baseball club will face off against staff from Sport & Physical Activity in their first ever charity match.  The team, affectionately known...

Interview: Cluedo 2’s Ellie Leach and Jason Durr with director Mark Bell

For Strictly Come Dancing champion and former Coronation Street actress Ellie Leach and ex Heartbeat and Casualty actor Jason Durr, the chance to play...

PhotoSoc & Forge Press Competition Winner Crowned

A monochrome picture of a leafless tree has won the Forge Press and Photography Society joint competition. The picture, taken by HanQing Xing under...

Are gigs and festivals becoming more and more inaccessible to young people?

Festivals are a rite of passage for young people. Most GCSE and A-Level students go to Reading and Leeds to have a paradigmatic first...

Rose-tinted glasses: Do my favourite games stand the test of time?

After finishing the recent Fallout series on Amazon, I was left itching to jump back into Fallout 4, and with Bethesda’s announcement of a free next-gen update for the game shortly on the horizon, I started to wonder whether I’d love it as much as I did back in 2015.