First Wednesday win for new boss Rohl in South Yorkshire Derby 

Two goals from former Rotherham man Michael Smith gave the Owls their first victory of the season. 

Sheffield Wednesday faced South Yorkshire rivals Rotherham United at Hillsborough in the first home match of new manager Danny Rohl. 

Ahead of the game Wednesday made four changes from their midweek defeat to Coventry. Di’Shon Bernard, Reece James, Callum Patterson and Michael Smith all came into the starting XI. 

Wednesday fans couldn’t have asked for a better start when former Rotherham player Smith netted in the 11th minute to give the home side the lead. 

Anthony’s Musaba shot was saved by Johansson but the ball eventually fell to Smith who rifled the ball in the net. 

Wednesday seemed menacing from either wing, with Patterson down the right and Musaba down the left. Both players had numerous crossing opportunities but none could meet the head of a Wednesday player. 

Rotherham struggled so much to deal with The Owls they made an early first half substitute which saw them reverted to a 3-5-2 formation to try to deal with the home side’s attacking threat. 

It was Smith at the double on 37 minutes as the ball was whipped in from the right hand side, Musaba couldn’t quite control the ball but it ended up at the feet of Smith whose neat finish doubled his, and Wednesday’s, lead. 

Wednesday’s number 24 could’ve had a hattrick but he headed a right hand corner high and wide just minutes before halftime. 

Wednesday’s dominance continued at the start of the second period too.

Firstly, a wicked Barry Bannan cross caused the Rotherham defence issues but there was too much on the cross to meet the head of Reece James and the ball went out for a goal kick. 

Just minutes later Wednesday had another opportunity to add to their two goals. Josh Windass picked up a loose ball 35 yards from goal and attempted to chip ‘keeper Johansson off his line. Fortunately for the away side Windass’ shot was just wide of the target. 

Rotherham had a rare chance to score through Revan, who had a shot on 58 minutes over the bar after a long throw bobbled to him at the far post. 

Michael Smith almost grabbed a third but his shot just inside the box from a tight angle curled away from the far post. 

It was all one-way traffic for the home side and it was Musaba yet again involved. 

He wriggled away from his man and cut inside for a shot inside the box, but a deflection off Morrison saw the ball go out for a corner. 

From that resulting set piece, Will Vaulks volleyed wide from the edge of the 18-yard box. 

The tricky winger Musaba was later substituted after late contact from Millers defender Lee Peltier. 

The away side brought on two attackers, Georgie Kelly and Sam Nombe to try and salvage something out of this game. 

It was nearly a masterstroke from visiting manager Matt Taylor as Kelly tried to chip Cameron Dawson from his own half, but his shot was wide of the mark. 

Wednesday went close to a third in the last moments of the game as captain Barry Bannan shot from range but it was comfortably held by the visiting goalkeeper as the full-time whistle blew.

The result gives Wednesday their first three points of the season, but remain at the foot of the Championship table with six points onboard. 

Wednesday XI: Dawson. Iorfa, Diaby, Bernard, Paterson (Valentin 80’), Byers (Vaulks 64’), Bannan, James, Windass (Gassama 80’), Musaba (73’), Smith.

Book Review: Babycakes ~ Armistead Maupin

A sailor walks into a bar, meets a reporter and says he’s defected. Don’t wait for a punchline, because this is no laughing matter....

Dance Society named Society of the Year

The University of Sheffield Dance Society has been crowned as Society of the 2023/24 academic year at the annual Activities Awards, which took place...

BAME Students Part Time Officer questioned over lack of work since taking over role

Criticism has been raised over Part Time BAME Students Officer Ahmad Waris’ perceived lack of work since his time in office.  Speaking to Forge Press...

Opinion: Should centre stage be a place for protest?

Theatres have long been places of public expression and discourse, and never has this been clearer than it is now. Lots of new plays...

Strange Horticulture Review: A plant puzzle game that channels your inner Sherlock

Welcome to Strange Horticulture, an eerie plant shop nestled somewhere in Undermere that you inherited from your recently deceased uncle. Your mission? Save the...

To what extent should your boss be dictating your style at work?

Work. Love or hate it; enjoy or despise it, having a job and earning money is a fundamental part of living which...

How student loans and the economic crisis have pushed students to pick up part-time jobs

Rising living costs and personal financial difficulties have been plaguing people across the UK in recent months. Those who were already struggling have been...