Preview: Varsity returns as Black and Gold target 10th win in a row

The countdown for Varsity 2024 has officially begun, with only five weeks standing between us and the highly anticipated opening ceremony. Unlike previous years, the closely-fought ice hockey fixture will be the first event of the tournament, rather than the grand finale. It could be a record-breaking year for the University of Sheffield; 2023 was our ninth victory in a row. Could we continue our immensely impressive streak and make it a decade of wins? Time will tell, but for a university that doesn’t offer any sports courses, we stand in pretty good stead. 

(Credit: Ming Gana)

Ice Hockey

What were last year’s results?

Going into the ice hockey fixture, Uni of had already comprehensively won Varsity, but the teams on the ice were very evenly matched. After 40 minutes of normal time, the score was 2-2 after brilliant goals by Lawson Glasby and Sam Parkin for Uni of, and Sam Colton and Ryan Marsden for Hallam. Overtime failed to produce any further goals, leading to an intense penalty shootout in which Uni of won 2-1. 

(Credit: Ming Gana)

Key information

Date – Wednesday 20 March

Time – 18:00

Venue – Utilita Arena 

Ticket price – £16

How many points are on offer? 1

The 2023 ice hockey fixture ended in a close-fought penalty shootout (Credit: Sam Quine)

Boxing

What were last year’s results?

There were 14 thrilling bouts in March 2023, with Uni of claiming victory in a magnificent nine fights. In the main event, Hallam’s Richard Naylor took on our very own Kenneth Anigboro. A devastating hook unleashed by Anigboro early on ruled Naylor out of the fight on medical grounds, handing the title of Yorkshire Class B Challenge Champion to the Uni of man. 

Key information

Date – Monday 15 April

Time – 18:00

Venue – Octagon Centre

Ticket price – £9

How many points are on offer? 1

Football

What were last year’s results?

The black and gold women’s football 1s walked away with an immense victory following a late goal by Clara Goggin. It was a tight game as the first half ended with one goal apiece after strikes from Hallam’s Caitlin O’Callaghan and Uni’s Evie Driscoll-King. As the skies darkened over Hallam Sports Park, Goggin scored with 10 minutes of the game remaining, taking the scoreline to 2-1. 

The men’s first team weren’t quite as fortunate as their match against Hallam frustratingly ended 1-1. Several goalmouth scrambles could have easily swayed the final result, but in the end our only goal was scored by Alec Wallace. 

Key information

Date – Wednesday 17 April

Venue – Sheffield Hallam Sports Park

Ticket price – £7 

How many points are on offer? 7 (M1, M2, M3, M4, W1, W2, W3)

A late goal guaranteed victory for the University of Sheffield women’s team (Credit: Jemma Snowdon)

Basketball 

What were last year’s results?

Hallam took a decisive victory over Uni of’s W1 team at the English Institute of Sport in 2023. They took a commanding lead of 31-9 in the first quarter, and although the black and gold team valiantly fought back, we lost 72-53.

Uni’s men’s first team brought back our dominance in basketball as they thrashed the maroon side. After the second team were also victorious earlier in the day, the 1s won 81-48, with Zak Moore taking home the highest points tally of 24. The team was coached by Mike Tuck, an ex-Sheffield Sharks player. 

Key information

Date – Wednesday 24 April

Time – W1 at 15:30, M1 at 19:45

Venue – Canon Medical Arena (M2 fixture is at the English Institute of Sport on the same day)

Ticket price – £7

How many points are on offer? 3 (M1, W1, M2)

Other key events to look out for

Hockey – Tuesday 16 April at Norton Sports Park

Rugby Union and Rugby League – Wednesday 17 April at Sheffield Hallam Sports Park

Swimming, Water Polo and Korfball – Monday 22 April at Ponds Forge

Futsal – Wednesday 24 April at English Institute of Sport

Annie Henderson, Wellbeing and Sports Officer, said: “Get ready for Varsity – it’s just around the corner! It is time to paint the city in Black and Gold. Varsity is more than just a sporting competition, it is the culmination of commitment, teamwork, talent and pride that unites the entire University. Stepping out wearing your Black and Gold kit is a feeling like no other. I can’t wait to be there celebrating all our amazing athletes in all the different events. 

“This year is set to be even bigger and better than previous, with a line-up featuring over 2000 athletes, over 80 fixtures, spanning across 30 diverse sports. We are kicking off with the Ice Hockey on 20 March and concluding at the new Canon Medical Arena with Netball and Basketball. 

“Another win this year will mark our 10th consecutive ‘Uni of’ victory! So make sure you grab your Black and Gold kit, come down to the events and cheer as loud as you possibly can.”

Featured Image Credit: @sheffielduni via X

AGMs 2024: Craft Club Committee formed after AGM re-run

The Craft Club Society have recently revealed their committee for the 2024/25 academic year, after previously struggling to achieve sufficient interest from members. The...

Book Review: Babycakes ~ Armistead Maupin

A sailor walks into a bar, meets a reporter and says he’s defected. Don’t wait for a punchline, because this is no laughing matter....

Dance Society named Society of the Year

The University of Sheffield Dance Society has been crowned as Society of the 2023/24 academic year at the annual Activities Awards, which took place...

BAME Students Part Time Officer questioned over lack of work since taking over role

Criticism has been raised over Part Time BAME Students Officer Ahmad Waris’ perceived lack of work since his time in office.  Speaking to Forge Press...

Opinion: Should centre stage be a place for protest?

Theatres have long been places of public expression and discourse, and never has this been clearer than it is now. Lots of new plays...

Strange Horticulture Review: A plant puzzle game that channels your inner Sherlock

Welcome to Strange Horticulture, an eerie plant shop nestled somewhere in Undermere that you inherited from your recently deceased uncle. Your mission? Save the...

To what extent should your boss be dictating your style at work?

Work. Love or hate it; enjoy or despise it, having a job and earning money is a fundamental part of living which...