Rose Xu" />

BUCS Nationals return to Sheffield to showcase student sport

British Universities and Colleges Sport (BUCS) Nationals will return to Sheffield in 2024, showcasing the best of student sport. The event will take place this weekend from Friday 23 February to Sunday 25 February.

This year marks the 11th anniversary for BUCS National. More than 5,000 students from 100+ universities will compete in various sports, including climbing, karate, swimming, badminton, fencing, and athletics.

EIS Sheffield and Ponds Forge International Sports Centre are among the key locations.

Sports is a massive part of students’ university life. BUCS provides a platform for them to grow and build community. Among the competitors is Flow Brailsford, a University of Sheffield student who is passionate about climbing.

She said: “BUCS is the biggest competition of the year in terms of numbers of competitors. It’s always a little bit stressful but the competition community is really friendly and we are all pretty good friends.”

Ross Greenwood, 21, health and safety officer for fencing, said: “The upcoming BUCS Nationals will be my last one, and I want to say that every minute I spent with fencing has brightened my university life.”

The competition also serves as a crucial platform for athletes eyeing future international representation. Cuba Paris, who is going to compete in karate this weekend, said: “The BUCS Nationals is a fantastic opportunity for us athletes to push our limits. My goal is to start representing the Jamaican national team and qualify for the Pan American Games in 3 years time.”

The Championship, which has become a staple in the National University Sports calendar, not only highlights the athletic excellence within higher education but also contributes significantly to the local economy.

Martin Smith, Chair of the Economic Development and Skills Policy Committee in Sheffield, said: “This event helps to shape a new image for Sheffield as a modern and diverse city. It brings people to the city which itself will be a great push for the local economy.”

The BUCS National Championships not only spotlight the exceptional talent of university athletes but also reinforce Sheffield’s status as a key player in the UK’s sporting landscape. As the competitions draw to a close, the event will continue to inspire future generations of athletes in Sheffield and beyond.

Spectators are welcome and enjoy free access to all venues. No need to purchase any tickets ahead, the seating areas in all venues can be used.

Featured Image Credit: @BUCSsport via X

Sounds of unity: collaborative open mic night brings together musicians and students

On the 13th March, the Music Department Society and Octagon Records, two University of Sheffield societies, brought together their audiences for a big open...

Touring Production Review: The 39 Steps

When you go to the theatre you never expect what you see to be totally realistic, yet, usually, the characters on stage don’t seem...

University baseball club to hold charity match against Goodwin staff

University of Sheffield’s baseball club will face off against staff from Sport & Physical Activity in their first ever charity match.  The team, affectionately known...

Interview: Cluedo 2’s Ellie Leach and Jason Durr with director Mark Bell

For Strictly Come Dancing champion and former Coronation Street actress Ellie Leach and ex Heartbeat and Casualty actor Jason Durr, the chance to play...

PhotoSoc & Forge Press Competition Winner Crowned

A monochrome picture of a leafless tree has won the Forge Press and Photography Society joint competition. The picture, taken by HanQing Xing under...

Are gigs and festivals becoming more and more inaccessible to young people?

Festivals are a rite of passage for young people. Most GCSE and A-Level students go to Reading and Leeds to have a paradigmatic first...

Rose-tinted glasses: Do my favourite games stand the test of time?

After finishing the recent Fallout series on Amazon, I was left itching to jump back into Fallout 4, and with Bethesda’s announcement of a free next-gen update for the game shortly on the horizon, I started to wonder whether I’d love it as much as I did back in 2015.