Dimitra Koutouzi" />

‘United we are stronger’: Q&A with the founder of the Ukrainian society

The 24 February 2024 marked two years since the full-scale invasion of Ukraine by Russia. The Ukrainian Society at the University of Sheffield was founded in September 2022 with just four members and has grown massively since.

The Ukrainian society organises events that people can attend to help raise money for Ukraine. Roksolana Rohozhynska is the founder and current vice-president of the Ukrainian society at the University of Sheffield. Although she is currently on placement in Oxford, she is still involved with the society and looks forward to coming back next year. Forge spoke to Roksolana to find out more about the impact the society has had on student life…

FP: What inspired you to start a Ukrainian society?

RR: I came to Sheffield in September 2021 and at that point I did not think there were any other Ukrainians in Sheffield. Until December, I was confident that I am the only Ukrainian in Sheffield.

Then in February the war started and we started having some peaceful protests in the city centre, and I saw that there were other Ukrainians, which gave me hope.

I found a couple of Ukrainian students at the University and we started talking about what we can do to support Ukraine. Everyone wanted to help but it is always better to have people with you.

It was quite hard because I knew we needed four people to start a society. I really wanted to start a society but I didn’t know if it made any sense at all. But I think that was the best decision I ever made. 

Since September 2022, we have a Ukrainian society at the University of Sheffield. I am really glad that I went for that despite facing problems with not having enough people. I managed to meet some more Ukrainians and I think that the number of Ukrainians at the uni is increasing every year.

FP: Last month marked the second anniversary of the full scale war in Ukraine. What are your reflections on that?

RR: I tend to say that the war has been going on for 10 years, although it was not as bad then as it is now. I feel like since February 2022 all Ukrainians showed real community sense. Our country is smaller than Russia, we don’t have that much ammunition but still we are fighting. 

I think the biggest trait of the Ukrainian nation is our sense of community. It is so important we all stay together because united we are stronger.

A lot of people decided to fight, others fought in their own way. Without having anything at all, we are trying to find ways of fighting for our country, even if it is just spreading the word or raising some money, like a bake sale. 

Our society raised £700, which won’t win the war, but combined with other societies we made a difference. 

FP: How do you feel about the support from the University, and from the UK in general?

RR: We had great support from the university from when the war started. They provided financial help, because when the war started the exchange rate rose a lot and my parents could not support me as much as normal. 

The support the UK has given to Ukraine is incredible. We are very grateful for the ammunition and humanitarian aid they have given us. They also created the homes for Ukraine Scheme, which meant that Ukrainian refugees can get free visas for the next three years if they find a sponsor.

Since then, 300,000 Ukrainians came to the UK, which means there are approximately 300,000 people who have opened their homes to strangers because they genuinely wanted to help. There is financial help as well for the beginning.

FP: Has the invasion affected your personal identity as a Ukrainian?

RR: I have always been promoting our culture as much as I can even before the war. Even without the war, I would still always be talking to everyone about Ukraine.

Sometimes I would get ridiculous questions, like if Ukraine is part of Russia so I was always educating people about how modern and digital our country actually is. Honestly, I am just in love with Ukraine, I love it with my whole heart. 

FP: What do you love the most about Ukraine?

RR: We are really trying to develop. I see these passionate people that are trying hard to bring something to the country. We have so many problems but people want to make change and make the country better. I love the passion that people have. 

FP: What is a fun fact that most people do not know about Ukraine?

RR: Something we are proud of is we have this mobile app called ‘Action’, we have all of our documents, our national ID, passport, driving licence and this app is all you need instead of carrying all the physical copies. It has some crazy features. If you want to become an entrepreneur you can do it in the app in just two minutes. It only took me less than a minute to apply for a new licence. 

FP: Are you planning to get involved with the society again when you are back from placement?

RR: I cannot just leave everything, the society is a part of me, it is something that I created. At first I was not part of the committee when I left for placement, but then I was elected vice president. Although I am not in Sheffield I still post on the Instagram account and come to see them in person. This is not just a society, this is about my country and this is my way of helping my country. I am definitely coming back. 

FP: Is there anything you would like to add?

RR: Don’t forget about Ukraine because the war is still going on even though there is not as much coverage. There is a lot you can do to help. 

Touring Production Review: The 39 Steps

When you go to the theatre you never expect what you see to be totally realistic, yet, usually, the characters on stage don’t seem...

University baseball club to hold charity match against Goodwin staff

University of Sheffield’s baseball club will face off against staff from Sport & Physical Activity in their first ever charity match.  The team, affectionately known...

Interview: Cluedo 2’s Ellie Leach and Jason Durr with director Mark Bell

For Strictly Come Dancing champion and former Coronation Street actress Ellie Leach and ex Heartbeat and Casualty actor Jason Durr, the chance to play...

PhotoSoc & Forge Press Competition Winner Crowned

A monochrome picture of a leafless tree has won the Forge Press and Photography Society joint competition. The picture, taken by HanQing Xing under...

Are gigs and festivals becoming more and more inaccessible to young people?

Festivals are a rite of passage for young people. Most GCSE and A-Level students go to Reading and Leeds to have a paradigmatic first...

Rose-tinted glasses: Do my favourite games stand the test of time?

After finishing the recent Fallout series on Amazon, I was left itching to jump back into Fallout 4, and with Bethesda’s announcement of a free next-gen update for the game shortly on the horizon, I started to wonder whether I’d love it as much as I did back in 2015.

Opinion: Should Celebrities star on Stage?

We are always seeing celebrity cast announcements for theatre shows: this year alone Self Esteem (Rebecca Lucy Taylor) has starred in the West End...