Society Spotlight: Meet Bake Society…

This time round I met up with Bake Society President Janani Siva to find out what they get up to!

How would you describe the society in a sentence?

A great way to destress by baking as a group!

What type of events do you typically run?

The main type of events we run are baking in a local church kitchen. Some of our recent ones include lemon tart and biscoff blondies! We also have done things like pumpkin carvings where you bake with the guts and bake-off viewings to mix it up a bit!

How frequently do you host sessions/socials?

We have weekly baking events, however, due to the size of our society, our tickets sell out super quickly. We are always doing extra events to get as many people baking as possible and aim to do socials at least once a month. 

Favourite session/social this year?

My favourite event this year would have to be our bake-at-home bread event. This was a great way to encourage our members to try something that many of them had not done before. It was really fun to be able to teach people a new skill!

Any upcoming events you are excited about?

I’m really looking forward to our gingerbread house decorating event. It was lots of fun last year, and it was lovely to see everyone’s creations! This year we are going to make this event even bigger, so I imagine I will look very strange buying 30 gingerbread houses!

When did you first join Bake Soc?

I first joined the Bake Society committee on a whim in first year when they were looking for first-year reps. It was such a great decision. I stayed on the committee in second year and loved to see how it developed. I got to meet lots of wonderful people, and the committee was so welcoming. 

What made you want to become president?

I have always loved organising things and was excited to have a chance to bring new ideas to the society by being president. I was particularly looking forward to trying new ways of running events to get as many members baking as possible! I love working with my committee; Bake Society is such a wholesome society, and I can’t wait to see what we do next semester.

Membership – £3 per semester

Social media – @bakesocsheff (Instagram)

Touring Production Review: The 39 Steps

When you go to the theatre you never expect what you see to be totally realistic, yet, usually, the characters on stage don’t seem...

University baseball club to hold charity match against Goodwin staff

University of Sheffield’s baseball club will face off against staff from Sport & Physical Activity in their first ever charity match.  The team, affectionately known...

Interview: Cluedo 2’s Ellie Leach and Jason Durr with director Mark Bell

For Strictly Come Dancing champion and former Coronation Street actress Ellie Leach and ex Heartbeat and Casualty actor Jason Durr, the chance to play...

PhotoSoc & Forge Press Competition Winner Crowned

A monochrome picture of a leafless tree has won the Forge Press and Photography Society joint competition. The picture, taken by HanQing Xing under...

Are gigs and festivals becoming more and more inaccessible to young people?

Festivals are a rite of passage for young people. Most GCSE and A-Level students go to Reading and Leeds to have a paradigmatic first...

Rose-tinted glasses: Do my favourite games stand the test of time?

After finishing the recent Fallout series on Amazon, I was left itching to jump back into Fallout 4, and with Bethesda’s announcement of a free next-gen update for the game shortly on the horizon, I started to wonder whether I’d love it as much as I did back in 2015.

Opinion: Should Celebrities star on Stage?

We are always seeing celebrity cast announcements for theatre shows: this year alone Self Esteem (Rebecca Lucy Taylor) has starred in the West End...