Nada Elbastawisi (they/them)" />

Sheffield Museums Exhibition Review: Ways of Water

Ways of Water by Helena Hunter and Mark Peter Wright certainly holds more challenging art in terms of concept, history, and artistic mediums. This exhibition plays on concepts of memory, culture, health, and loss by exploring local water infrastructures across Yorkshire and Derbyshire, whilst following the impacts and implications of the 1832 Sheffield Cholera Epidemic both historically and contemporarily.

The unsanitary water conditions behind the epidemic are denoted in the exhibition and an emphasis is placed on water as an essential, life-sustaining element. A mixture of sculptures, videography, film, and photography is utilized and moulded in a thought-provoking manner, one that evokes exploration and consideration of the maintenance and care which water calls for, and the links between that and human experience, community health, and life. The essence captured by displays of water infrastructure sites are intended to illicit focus on memory and monument as well as highlight the connection between objects and the remembrance of events culturally and historically.

Artists Helena Hunter & Mark Peter Wright. Image Credit: Darlington & Stockton Times & University of the Arts London

The exhibition implores visitors to consider how we remember past events, culturally, what objects, rituals, and beliefs maintain personal and collective memory, and how the past can inform future action. This exhibition also honours and commemorates the lives of those who passed away due to the Cholera outbreak. One of the visitors shared an endearing thought about those people, were wondering if people who have passed from Cholera are able to witness this gallery from above or in spirit. “I wonder if they would feel like this gallery represents some of their experience,” they added.

People seem to see and comprehend the exhibition as one full of individual, unique art pieces that come together to tell a story and spark reflection rather as a single, collective gallery which is effective in communicating the message this exhibition writes. It pushes people to converse with their minds and memories, then with one another’s through a lens of culture, history, and lived experience; that in itself is beyond memorable.

Rating: ★★★☆☆

Ways of Water is on display in the Millennium Gallery until May 12th

Image Credit: Helena Hunter & Mark Peter Wright

PhotoSoc & Forge Press Competition Winner Crowned

A monochrome picture of a leafless tree has won the Forge Press and Photography Society joint competition. The picture, taken by HanQing Xing under...

Are gigs and festivals becoming more and more inaccessible to young people?

Festivals are a rite of passage for young people. Most GCSE and A-Level students go to Reading and Leeds to have a paradigmatic first...

Rose-tinted glasses: Do my favourite games stand the test of time?

After finishing the recent Fallout series on Amazon, I was left itching to jump back into Fallout 4, and with Bethesda’s announcement of a free next-gen update for the game shortly on the horizon, I started to wonder whether I’d love it as much as I did back in 2015.

Opinion: Should Celebrities star on Stage?

We are always seeing celebrity cast announcements for theatre shows: this year alone Self Esteem (Rebecca Lucy Taylor) has starred in the West End...

Disordered eating is not just ‘girl dinner’

TW: Discussion of mental health and eating disorders. According to explodingtopics.com, the average TikTok user spends 2 hours a...

Medics’ Revue raises £1700 for Sheffield children’s charity

The Sheffield Medics’ Revue society have announced that their 2024 show Back to the Suture has raised a phenomenal £1700 for the Bluebell Wood...

Sheffield art festival to celebrate local creatives

A local art festival is set to highlight the work and skill of creatives across Sheffield and the nearby areas this bank holiday weekend....