Lily Taylor" />

VARSITY 2024: Hallam’s women secure emphatic victory against Uni of swimming team

Sheffield Hallam’s women’s swimming team remained undefeated in all of the races against the University of Sheffield in a morning full of determination and camaraderie.

Starting off strong with the 4x50m medley relay, Hallam powered ahead, securing gold, and finishing with an impressive time of 1:58.88.

The individual races followed on, with the gruelling 100m Individual medley with Hallam guaranteeing the win.

Uni of made a small comeback by finishing in third place in 100m breast, fly and free.

Despite Hallam’s across the board victories, the black and gold team’s spirits were high, with positivity radiating from the supporters and chants and cheers echoing across the pool.

The vibrant atmosphere was contagious and each and every race had the audience on the edge of their seats.

In the second half, Hallam dominated the 50m events, arriving in both first and second position in all four races, except 50m fly with Uni of’s Niamh Irwin stealing bronze. 

Uni of’s swimmers’ efforts never went unnoticed, and their energy didn’t fluctuate, with other team members constantly cheering at the end of the pool for each other.

The competition came to a close with the 4x50m free relay, where the Hallam women accomplished their final win of the day, touching at 1:53.29.

The exhausted but proud Uni of team still managed a team jump, cannonball style, for one last group picture.

The University of Sheffield team gallantly lost to the mighty Sheffield Hallam swimmers (Credit: Lily Taylor)

All competitors made their universities proud, however the swimmers who shone were Hallam’s Maddie Turner, coming in first position in three events and Hallam’s Liv Humphrey and Ellie Cookson, both securing two golds each.

Even with Hallam’s notorious beating the Uni of swimmers put up a good fight until the end.

Hallam took the win in swimming however Uni of remains in the lead for Varsity 2024; will we be crowned champions of Varsity for the 10th year running? 

All Image Credits: Lily Taylor

Breaking: Fire Service called to Drama Studio

This is a developing story Both South Yorkshire Fire and Rescue and South Yorkshire Police have been called to the University of Sheffield Drama Studio...

Pro-Palestine protesters camp outside SU following demonstrations in US universities

Dozens of students and staff members have erected encampment outside the Students’ Union building since May 1 to show solidarity with Palestinians, in the...

“Petty” Parody accounts attempts to disrupt Tory Society relaunch

A parody account has attempted to disrupt the progress of the University’s newly-relaunched Conservative Society. The imposter regularly posts on Instagram as if it is...

Book Review: Wicked – The Life and Times of the Wicked Witch of the West ~ Gregory Maguire

With the splash of the water bucket, the Wicked Witch of the West melted in a shrieking mess in front of Dorothy, aghast at...

Sounds of unity: collaborative open mic night brings together musicians and students

On the 13th March, the Music Department Society and Octagon Records, two University of Sheffield societies, brought together their audiences for a big open...

Touring Production Review: The 39 Steps

When you go to the theatre you never expect what you see to be totally realistic, yet, usually, the characters on stage don’t seem...

University baseball club to hold charity match against Goodwin staff

University of Sheffield’s baseball club will face off against staff from Sport & Physical Activity in their first ever charity match.  The team, affectionately known...