Angel Sang" />

VARSITY 2024: UoS 1s take home exhilarating korfball victory

The University of Sheffield’s first team took home all three varsity points with a 20-16 win against Sheffield Hallam on Monday 22 April at Ponds Forge.

The fast paced tone was set from the opening seconds, when Hallam took the lead a shocking 10 seconds in. An early penalty to Uni of gave them the equaliser 20 seconds later. With an incredible atmosphere from both sides supporters, and the evident determination of the players, it was clear the game would be one to watch.

The game stayed equal as both sides scored and pressed for the counter attack; 4-4. Possession could not have been more equal, both desperate to take the early lead.

Following a sensational long shot from Cat Esterhuyse, a recovered penalty from Alek Spencer, and a shot from Vice Captain Sophie Armitage, Uni of finally took a comfortable lead at 7-4. 

Hallam caught up, and pressure neared for Uni when the score margin had one goal in it. 

With seven minutes left of the half, the passion and desperation of both teams ran high as free passes and penalties were given away. Uni made some player changes, hopeful to cling to their current 9-7 lead. 

Marianne Hauer sent the crowd crazy with a goal for Uni just seconds off the bench. Shots were flying as Uni quickly gained back possession, Dan Stephen and Daniel Casey with sensational efforts. 10-7 to Uni of.

The score margin widened for Uni, taking a 13-7 lead after a penalty scored by Calum Martin and an effortless shot from Matt Wilcox. At the end of the first half, Uni was respectfully ahead. 

The crowd geared up, cardboard signs with black and yellow paint were flying through the air as the teams made their way into the second half. 

Daniel Casey found himself on the floor and the ball made its way to Hallam’s attack. Despite the best efforts of Uni’s defence, the score reached 14-12. The margin began to close.

Three more for Uni as the final whistle neared, 17-12. Hallam’s attack strengthened, as they yet again caught up desperately wanting the Varsity crown. 

Another effortless goal by Wilcox sent Uni to 20, as the final whistle approached. Their defence gave away a Hallam penalty, but it did not matter. The whistle blew. The crowd erupted as University of Sheffield secured the victory. 

It was a nail-biting battle between the two sides. Immense levels of talent, passion and competition were displayed on the most exciting fixture of the year.

Final score: 20-16 to the University of Sheffield. 

Featured Image Credit: @shefunikorf via Instagram

Pro-Palestine protesters camp outside SU following demonstrations in US universities

Dozens of students and staff members have erected encampment outside the Students’ Union building since May 1 to show solidarity with Palestinians, in the...

“Petty” Parody accounts attempts to disrupt Tory Society relaunch

A parody account has attempted to disrupt the progress of the University’s newly-relaunched Conservative Society. The imposter regularly posts on Instagram as if it is...

Book Review: Wicked – The Life and Times of the Wicked Witch of the West ~ Gregory Maguire

With the splash of the water bucket, the Wicked Witch of the West melted in a shrieking mess in front of Dorothy, aghast at...

Sounds of unity: collaborative open mic night brings together musicians and students

On the 13th March, the Music Department Society and Octagon Records, two University of Sheffield societies, brought together their audiences for a big open...

Touring Production Review: The 39 Steps

When you go to the theatre you never expect what you see to be totally realistic, yet, usually, the characters on stage don’t seem...

University baseball club to hold charity match against Goodwin staff

University of Sheffield’s baseball club will face off against staff from Sport & Physical Activity in their first ever charity match.  The team, affectionately known...

Interview: Cluedo 2’s Ellie Leach and Jason Durr with director Mark Bell

For Strictly Come Dancing champion and former Coronation Street actress Ellie Leach and ex Heartbeat and Casualty actor Jason Durr, the chance to play...