Ollie Ford" />

VARSITY 2024: Uni of take home futsal 1s bragging rights in thrilling encounter

The futsal 1s fixture was an end-to-end affair which saw the University of Sheffield take home a 4-3 victory thanks to an all-round team performance.

The game took no time coming to life when straight from kick-off, Sheffield Hallam sent a long ball forward in behind the Uni of defence, the resultant header crashing straight onto the bar and setting the tempo for what would become a high-octane affair.

Hallam continued their onslaught forcing Uni keeper Timi Ogundipe into an early save, before just two minutes later Hallam opened the scoring. Harry Vennard cut inside from the left wing and drove a fierce shot into the bottom left corner.

After a non-stop opening few minutes, the game settled down with Uni of deploying a high press – led by captain Will Allen – and Hallam continuing their long ball approach which proved so effective early on.

Ogundipe kept Uni in the game with save after save, and his resilience proved worthwhile when Uni were awarded a free kick on the edge of the area, and Dara Ghosh drove home to level the match.

Hallam’s lead was rapidly restored though in the 14th minute, when Chris Sharp played a quick one-two around the keeper and finished into an empty net.

The half would have one last twist though, as Allen saw a low shot parried by the Hallam keeper straight into the path of James Walker for a tap-in to level the game at 2-2 as the first 20 came to an end.

The Uni of team battled hard to defend last year’s win (Credit: John Cresswell)

The second half opened controversially, as Walker broke through on goal and was brought down by the Hallam defender to uproar from the black and gold faithful who demanded a penalty – nothing given though.

Whilst Hallam arguably had the better of the first half, Uni of had come out for the second with an increased energy and controlled the game, not allowing Hallam a sniff. This came to fruition when, in the 26th minute, Allen whipped a cross across the face of the goal which was turned into the net by a Hallam defender – advantage Uni.

This goal saw the game explode into life once more, with Ogundipe making yet another great save straight from kick-off tipping the ball onto the post. Just minutes later, Hallam’s Kyle Chadburn entered the ref’s book for bringing down Reuben Juster through on goal.

At this point Uni of were strutting their stuff, and – with Hallam struggling to cope – a beautiful passing move involving all four Uni outfielders saw the ball worked to Juster who finished coolly to make it 4-2 with 10 minutes to go.

From this moment on, the game was all Hallam; desperate to find a way back into the match they introduced a fly keeper, giving them a man advantage on the pitch and leaving their goal unguarded. This decision immediately paid off, with Ben Woodward sliding the ball into the Uni net reducing the deficit to one with seven minutes to go.

Hallam continued to probe for an equaliser, but a controlled low block from Walker and Charlie Stewart kept them at bay and despite seeing all the ball Hallam could not find a way through. Their best chance came in the very last second with a desperate long range shot which – when blocked – saw the final whistle blown; Uni reigned victorious.

Amid the Uni celebrations, tempers flared with players from both sides involved in a confrontation and having to be separated, but this did not mar the occasion: a thrilling game which saw Uni extend their already large lead in the overall Varsity standings.

Final score: University of Sheffield 4-3 Sheffield Hallam 

All Image Credits: John Cresswell

“Critical” society storage to be demolished, no alternative confirmed

The main storage location for the Sheffield University Performing Arts Society (SUPAS), Sheffield University Theatre Company (SUTCo) and Conservation Society is set to be...

Fire Service called to Drama Studio as smoke reported

Both South Yorkshire Fire and Rescue and South Yorkshire Police have been called to the University of Sheffield Drama Studio on Shearwood Road this...

Pro-Palestine protesters camp outside SU following demonstrations in US universities

Dozens of students and staff members have erected encampment outside the Students’ Union building since May 1 to show solidarity with Palestinians, in the...

Book Review: Wicked – The Life and Times of the Wicked Witch of the West ~ Gregory Maguire

With the splash of the water bucket, the Wicked Witch of the West melted in a shrieking mess in front of Dorothy, aghast at...

Sounds of unity: collaborative open mic night brings together musicians and students

On the 13th March, the Music Department Society and Octagon Records, two University of Sheffield societies, brought together their audiences for a big open...

Touring Production Review: The 39 Steps

When you go to the theatre you never expect what you see to be totally realistic, yet, usually, the characters on stage don’t seem...

University baseball club to hold charity match against Goodwin staff

University of Sheffield’s baseball club will face off against staff from Sport & Physical Activity in their first ever charity match.  The team, affectionately known...